Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
San Fran's reparations propsal
(03-28-2023, 05:12 PM)basballguy Wrote: Remember, the comments on this board last week on several threads were: (paraphrasing)  "GOP is focused on trans bathroom rules"....which triggered my comments.  I'm gonna skip over anything Trump related as discussing Trump talking points on this forum will get me nowhere.  

I don't have a problem with claiming the GOP is focused on trans bathroom rules if the front runners in the GOP primary feel the need to reference bathroom issues in their campaign speeches and GOP legislators are focused on such issues as well. 

"Discussing Trump talking points" certainly won't get you anywhere if your thesis is that bathrooms aren't an issue for GOP candidates--but there they are always in the GOP front runner's talking points. When Trump was president bathrooms were in his practice too, as one of his first "accomplishments" was to rescind Obama's directive allowing trans people to choose their restrooms out of regards for their safety. 
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/us/politics/devos-sessions-transgender-students-rights.html

Also, you don't win much if your argument is that only a TINY PART of the GOP focus on trans issues is about bathrooms. No MAGA-courting candidate is focused on just bathrooms; the latter is always embedded in a larger range of culture-war style trans issues, like the question of whether trans men should be allowed to compete in women's sports, whether children should see drag shows, or whether transgender people/issues should at all be identified in schools, etc. Tucker has had a segment on Trans people the last three nights, starting with Tuesday's show on the history of "trans violence," leading up to the recent school shooting by a trans person (guns don't kill people, gender dysphorics do!). Last night was a segment about trans men competing in women's sports. Hannity frequently discusses the subject as well.  Watch one day of Fox and count the references to small business policy vs trans. The last week especially trans issues have drowned everything out. The only thing that might beat it is immigration or the Biden Crime Family, which is finally just a step away from being exposed. (lol)

(03-28-2023, 05:12 PM)basballguy Wrote: This has nothing to do with bathrooms and everything to do with giving a child an opportunity to "socially change gender identities" without the parents permission

So first of all, if a child is questioning their gender identity (which some may I guess), it's not up to the school to facilitate that discussion or transition.  They are supposed to be educators, not parents.  I don't see anything wrong with Pence's political group combatting this.  Do you?  

Separately, i don't think any human being should even begin having a discussion about transitioning until they at least reach their teens.  Any child asking these questions either has mental illness or shitty parents.  I'm thinking elementary school age here...not raging hormone teens.  

Well, educators DO have to be parents. No way around that, and that's why we have the in loco parentis principle to establish the rights and protections of parental control over student behaviors. This right is not without its problems (e.g., school boards have removed a great deal of this power from individual teachers, hampering their classroom effectiveness). It is something which must be renegotiated every generation, but it is a thing.

As far as I can tell, there have only been a few cases in which minors have wanted to "transition" without their parents knowing. I think parents should know, but I don't find this a simple issue at all, given the possibility of abuse involved.  If a 12-year-old wants to transition, I am somewhat concerned as to what might happen if he/she is given a flat "no" and the parents are informed of the request. 
The mental health community has moved away from defining the desire to transition as "mental illness," and recognized the danger of ignoring people who want to transition. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
San Fran's reparations propsal - Millhouse - 03-24-2023, 12:34 PM
RE: San Fran's reparations propsal - Stewy - 03-24-2023, 12:53 PM
RE: San Fran's reparations propsal - Dill - 03-24-2023, 01:25 PM
San Fran's reparations propsal - bjf123 - 03-24-2023, 01:38 PM
RE: San Fran's reparations propsal - Dill - 03-24-2023, 04:28 PM
RE: San Fran's reparations propsal - Dill - 03-24-2023, 05:06 PM
RE: San Fran's reparations propsal - Dill - 03-28-2023, 03:46 PM
RE: San Fran's reparations propsal - Dill - 03-30-2023, 11:10 PM
RE: San Fran's reparations propsal - Dill - 03-30-2023, 11:18 PM