Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Easy Way To Protect Our Schools And Kids
(04-01-2023, 07:50 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: Because there is no statistically relevant data that shows that it would be. 

I feel like this is a rehash of a similar thread of yours from the last time kiddos were getting mowed down in our schools. The end result is the same. Just because YOU (or me, or anyone on this board) think  something makes sense doesn't make it a reality. 

Policy is supposed to be based on and supported by evidence rather than feelings. There is no significant evidence that suggests that more guns, more security officers or more police presence has a positive effect on the frequency or lethality of school shootings. There is plenty of research and evidence to the contrary.

So yeah, your idea holds about just as much water as giving out teddy bears and snowballs. Because it is based on your thoughts rather than any evidence-backed logic. 
When has this ever been tried?

How do you figure a shooter, even an experienced one, could kill 9 guards, or even 4 or 5 guards, and then kill a bunch of kids? All this while also fighting off police who would have been called and would be arriving?
(04-01-2023, 08:53 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: No you're absolutely right. The government definitely doesn't have a long history of being given an inch and taking a mile.

How about this - I don't want my tax dollars helping out private businesses. Capitalism requires them to sink or swim on their own.
So you don't think the police should come to a private school if someone calls 911?
(04-01-2023, 09:45 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Solving this problem is very far from easy. To begin, the U.S. hasn't just sent Ukraine $76.8B - most of that is the value of what they have sent. Humanitarian aid and equipment accounts for the vast majority of that figure. We have provided financial support to the tune of $26B. Now, that is probably still enough to do this hypothetical scenario, but I don't think cash was the issue in the first place - it is personnel and redundancy. There are plenty of schools that already have police presence. Roughly 58% of schools as of 2018 reported having police presence at least one day out of the week. Hell, my tiny school in Oklahoma had police presence. 

Regarding personnel, police departments are already struggling with staffing. Where are we going to find the officers to do this? Are we going to pull them off the street? That'd be a large chunk of officers pulled away from policing the entire city. For instance, in Tulsa, there are 679 police officers (facing a staffing shortage here as well). There are 69 schools in Tulsa. Using our figure of $26B from above, we could provide each school about $200k. The average starting salary of a police officer is $50k, so we could theoretically get four officers to each school. Even this isn't correct as that $50k isn't all that it costs to hire a police officer, but I am just using it for the simplicity of math. In total, that would be 276 officers in schools in the Tulsa area, or roughly 40% of the entire department. Again, we already have a police shortage and this would exacerbate it. There would need to be a massive influx of new recruits to police academies which is not likely to happen.

Finally, there is no empirical evidence that exists that police presence at schools actually deters gun violence. I would honestly rather make a large monetary investment into a policy that has evidence of efficacy to back it up. 
Value or not, they had to purchase the equipment to send, so it basically is them sending that much.

As far finding personnel for it, there were 250,000 unemployed vets in this country in 2022 who I'd say wouldn't mind protecting kids. In fact, I think they'd see it as easy money, a rewarding job, and a walk in the park compared to war zones.

Explain to me this: you think a person that shows up to a school, sees 9 or 10 armed guards, and is still going to say "ok, I'm still going to try and shoot may way through them," and is successful?

Explain how and where my proposal has been tried and failed.
(04-01-2023, 10:42 AM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

So the police showing up and killing the shooter was meddling in their personal affairs?

How about this: the schools can say no if they don't want the guards there. Would that still be meddling in their business?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Easy Way To Protect Our Schools And Kids - BFritz21 - 04-01-2023, 01:02 PM