Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Easy Way To Protect Our Schools And Kids
(04-01-2023, 01:26 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I might be misunderstanding you, but we sent them American made equipment that had already been developed and was sitting in stockpiles. We didn't purchase/develop brand new weapons to send over to them. 
Which we would then have to purchase more to replace those and to keep our own stockpile up to standards.

(04-01-2023, 01:26 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: That's not enough, even if we were to do that. If we were to institute four police officers per school (or 10, under your proposal), we would need 520,000 new police officers (1.3 million under your proposal). Best case scenario, we don't even have half of the required personnel to pull this off. You're also going to run into logistical issues such as vet populations congregated in specific areas of the country where we would need them to be spread out. Finally, we would have to make sure all of them are physically fit and sound to work a job like this. Veterans with PTSD would be understandably be excluded. Nobody wants troubled veterans armed around children - they need healthcare. 
You're saying we don't have enough police officers and, in the same post, switching the argument against vets.

I realize that there are vets all over, so you could maybe have vets who are willing to move to new areas or have a rotation where a vet is only at a school for a month or two and then have vets rotate in and move to another location.

(04-01-2023, 01:26 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I do understand the logic behind it and it makes sense at first glance. However, we have to be careful about just blindly going for it. It needs to be tested and studied in a logical manner. The current research we have on the topic shows that there is no relation to deterrence in shootings. Marjory Stoneman Douglas had a deputy sheriff on campus at the time of the shooting - 17 died and he didn't engage the shooter. Would more have helped? Sure, maybe so, but we need evidence that clearly proves that before we spend billions of dollars implementing it. 
Ok, so why not try it and exhaust all resources to keep our kids safe?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Easy Way To Protect Our Schools And Kids - BFritz21 - 04-01-2023, 02:11 PM