Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.33 Average
Players Are Coming To Bengals Because Of Joe Burrow
(04-01-2023, 03:44 PM)PDub80 Wrote: - I don't believe this to be true at all. Reports came out after the signing that several teams with enough cap space inquired about Brown... none of which were the Bengals. Brown's camp reached out the THEM first because he wanted to come to Cincy. He also took less than what the Bears would/could have given him. He didn't even entertain other offers. Brown's camp offered the Bengals a steal because he told them to get it done and that is where he wanted to be. I don't believe the Bengals even negotiated much. Brown's agents bascially said, "how about this" and the Bengals jumped at it.

^ This has been reported multiple places. Locked on Bengals covered this quite well.

- Irv Smith also had multiple offers and choose the Bengals for less money. This makes since if you look at how mjch coin playing with Burrow made Uzomah & Hurst. But he specifically stated Burrow and winning in his interviews sknce signing.

I believe the Joe Burrow culture shift will be happening in Cincy for several years as long as they win. High potential guys or higher valued players may look at the club for a bit less money as a strong option either because they want legacy and a family feel, or as a launching pad to jump start their career again.

Bottom line is this: Cincy no longer has to pay a PREMIUM to get strong players in the builiding and some are taking a bit less to do so. This is apparent. -10% discoint is better than a +20% permium!

Orlando ended up a Bengal because the other teams that had interest in him wanted him as a RT and he wanted to stay at LT. There was a lot written about this before he reached out to the Bengals. The rest of the league just didn't view him as a LT.

In Irv's case he had narrowed it down to the Bengals and reuniting with Tua in Miami. His dad convinced him to pick the Bengals. This has also been talked about on Bengals.com and his interview with Dan Hoard. 

I'm sure having Joe helps to some degree when guys are making their decisions, but it wasn't the main reason why either of these guys ended up signing here. If someone would have given Orlando more money and let him play LT, that's where he'd be right now. If Irv's dad has of convinced him to go to Miami, that's probably where he'd be right now.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Players Are Coming To Bengals Because Of Joe Burrow - Bengalholic - 04-01-2023, 09:28 PM