Poll: Who was a better Bengal?
Ken Anderson
Boomer Esiason
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vs Series: Ken Anderson vs Boomer Esiason
(04-01-2023, 02:24 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Ken Anderson had a HoF career, no doubt. Against his peers he never lead the league in pass attempts but in completions, completion %, yards, TDs, YPA, YPG and passer rating, Anderson lead the leauge in one or more of those categories 15 times. Only Dan Fouts can exceed that during Anderson's career. In Boomer's career, he only did that 3 times. 

In argument for Boomer, who i picked regardless of any ignorant comments about how the only way someone would pick him was if they didn't see Anderson or either, he had a 6 year stretch ('85-'90) where he was an elite QB against tougher, HoF QBs. Boomer's Bengals career was much shorter but his overall numbers are comparable to Anderson's, in a different era. 

From '85 to '90 Boomer was:
#5 in Completions, behind Marino, Elway, Montana and O'Brien
#17 in Completion % (this is where Anderson has a huge advantage over Boomer)
#2 in Yards, behind Marino 20,851 to 24,122
#2 in TDs, behind Marino 147 to 173
#1 in YPA 8.1
#7 in YPG, behind Marino, Montana, Fouts, Moon, Everett and Rypien
#2 in Passer rating, behind Montana 86.7 to 94.0

Anderson had 8 winning seasons out of 13 where he had at least 9 starts. 61.5%
Boomer had 3 winning seasons out of 8 where he had at least 9 starts. 37.5%

Anderson had 4 pro bowls, 1 all pro, 1 MVP and 1 SB appearance.
Boomer had 4 pro bowls, 1 all pro, 1 MVP and 1 SB appearance. 

Anderson had 10 comebacks and 14 game winning drives.
Boomer had 16 comebacks and 22 game winning drives. 

In the post season:
Anderson was 2-4 with 9 TDs, 6 INTs and a 93.5 rating.
Boomer was 3-2 with 4 TDs, 3 INTs and a 71.1 rating. 

"Better career as a Bengal" is pretty subjective and requires a lot of context and who you saw or didn't see isn't the only reason you would pick one or the other. 

These 2 stats are very much linked. Boomer had a much lower completion % and a much higher YPA because he was taking way more deep shots.

I've been trying to avoid giving my opinion in these, but I think this is much closer than the Ken guys are saying. Had Boomer stayed with Coslet (or an offense suited to his strengths) for his entire career, he would've surpassed 40,000 yards pretty easily, and the stats you posted show that his peak was HOF worthy. Bad teams and offenses not suited to his strengths held him back a bit, IMO.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Vs Series: Ken Anderson vs Boomer Esiason - Shake n Blake - 04-03-2023, 08:36 PM