Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So Ready for the Draft Simulation
RD 1 - 28th

Mazi Smith - DT - Michigan - 6'3" 323

Notables available:
B. Branch, C. Kancey, D. Kincaid, D. Washington, A. Harrison, W. McDonald, K. Ringo

When I watch Mazi Smith I see a very special player in the making. I do not believe he has even realized how dominant he can be. Smith is a rare breed in that he is a run stuffing NT that as well provides serious pass rush threat. What Smith must do is create more consistency within his game which is something that should come through working with an outstanding D line coach like Marion Hobby as well working beside a player the Caliber of DJ Reader. Smith provides a very serious insurance policy should Reader go elsewhere in '24 but as well provides a very nasty duo should Reader return. I could see fronts with Reader lining up at the 1 and Smith at the 3. The Bengals needed to add pass rush to turn high pressures to sacks and this should certainly help.

RD 2 - 60th

Chicago was looking to move up and offered a trade giving them the 60th selection and sending 2-64 and 4-133 to the Bengals. I felt that making this trade added good value later and that targeted players would still be available.

RD 2 - 64th

Arizona wanted to move up to the 64th selection and offered the Bengals 3-66 and 5-168 to do so. Again, this added value later in the draft while also the opportunity to still select a targeted prospect

RD 2 - 66th

Tucker Kraft - TE - S. Dakota St. - 6'5" 254

Notables available: T. Simpson, C. Phillips III, J. Tippmann, D. Henley, M. Bergeron, S. Brown

Just like another Jackrabbit Alumni, Dallas Goedert, Kraft brings transferrable traits to the NFL game. Kraft possesses a good all around game that is pretty refined. He is a really good inline and down field blocker as well as an outstanding receiver. Kraft makes the tough catch and is always looking to create after the catch. I have been a fan of Kraft as a prospect thru the entire process and after seeing an interview with him I became completely sold on him as he is such a driven young man. He wants to be great and he works to be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMG6yURTCKY

RD. 3 - 92nd

Joe Tippmann - C/G - Wisconsin - 6'6" 313

Notables available: D. Henley, S. Brown, A. Carter, C. Tillman, L. Wypler, E. Ricks

I considered Tippmann at 92 and went with Kraft because the drop off in TEs after him is significant. Never did I believe that Tippmann would fall but stranger things happen virtually every draft. This was a very easy selection selection first of all because he was the BPA and he may be the most versatile lineman in the entire draft. Aside from his physical talents his greatest asset may well be his football IQ as related by evaluators and the Wisconsin staff. The Badgers regularly put out high quality linemen and Tippmann continues this tradition. Tippmann compares favorably to Creed Humphrey and provides the Bengals multiple options on the line with the most likely being Tippmann moving into center and Karras moving to LG where he is also experienced.

RD 4 - 131st

Zach Evans - RB - Ole Miss - 5'11" 202

Notables Available: J. Martin, G. Williams, J. Mingo, R. Johnson, Z. Kuntz, J. Roy, L. Schoonmaker, W. Morris

Evans is not huge but he runs with authority and fights for additional yardage on every run. Evans possesses homerun speed and has outstanding balance which assists him in running through arm tackles and gaining additional yards after contact. He has had some little injuries over his firsts couple of seasons but if medicals check out well, which they should as he played 12 games in '22, then he is a great addition to this offense and a serious playmaking threat that the offense has missed from the position.

RD 4 - 133rd

Wanya Morris - OT - Oklahoma - 6'5" 307

Notables available: G. Williams, J. Mingo, R. Johnson, Z. Kuntz, J. Roy, L. Schoonmaker, R. Moss

The reality is that Jonah Williams more than likely is the starting RT in '23 but we all know that is a 1 year rental deal. Morris provides serious competition for the starting RT job with Carman in '24. Morris provides the ability to play both RT and LT and if he is not starting provides a quality of depth that this O line has been missing in a swing tackle if he does not win the starting RT job. This selection would almost certainly mean the end of either the Adeniji or D'ante Smith era on the roster.

RD 5 - 163rd

Riley Moss - CB - Iowa - 6'1" 193

Notables available: I. Pace Jr., M. Ojomo, E. Gray, S. Tucker, X. Hutchinson, C. Brown

I considered Moss at 133 so I was pleased to see him on the board here. Again, he was the BPA while also providing much needed quality depth at CB. Moss is very experienced and is excellent in zone coverage so should fit extremely well in Lou's system. Brings good size, length, and speed to the position but his traits are highlighted by his football IQ. Can get up to challenge 50/50 balls and has outstanding ball skills. This is a huge get for the Bengals at this point in the draft and this kid will be on the 53.

RD 5 - 168th

Davis Allen - TE - Clemson - 6'6" 245

The Bengals double up here at TE adding another very good prospect in a really deep class. Allen at this time is a decent blocker and that should improve as he adds mass at the Pro level and he has the frame to carry that mass without jeopardizing his athleticism. Allen is pretty decent in route running. Where Allen stands out is attacking the ball and after it is in his hands. Allen should make the roster with Kraft and Irv Smith and has the potential to develop into an outstanding NFL TE.

RD 6 - 206th

Hunter Luepke - RB - N. Dakota St. - 6'1" 235

As with TE the Bengals double up at RB and complete the transformation of the RB position. Luepke showed on tape and in testing that he is not just a big lumbering back or a FB but rather he is a 4 down back that brings the traits you are looking for to the position. Ran a 4.56 at his Pro Day which is very respectable for a back his size. Outstanding pass protector and excellent receiver out of the backfield. The transformation of the RB room gives the Bengals the confidence to make a June 1 cut of Mixon separating them from the off the field controversy and providing them with significant cap savings.

RD 7 - 246th

Jalen Redmond - DT - Oklahoma - 6'2" 291

Redmond provides the Bengals with a player that could develop into an interior pass rush threat. Brings some potential for Marion Hobby to work with and could be a good piece to have on the practice squad.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
So Ready for the Draft Simulation - OSUfan - 04-08-2023, 10:50 AM
RE: So Ready for the Draft Simulation - OSUfan - 04-08-2023, 12:18 PM