Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Dr. Jill Biden wants BOTH LSU and IOWA WBB to visit White House.
(04-09-2023, 10:49 AM)Dill Wrote: I'd never heard that. 

In any case, that has certainly been the norm since the U.S. adopted the German model of universities and began granting
the "doctorate" as a terminal research degree in many disciplines. My wife is a doctor of musical arts and her students
call her "Dr." Lots of Ph.D.s don't stand on the title much. E.g., when they get airplane tickets, they don't refer to themselves
as "Dr." so if some passenger has a heart attack a stewardess does run to get them. They don't introduce themselves as "Dr."

I have to wonder if this "feeling" is something rather new, following efforts to delegitimize such scholarly accomplishments
by groups that frequently find themselves on the other side of science and modern scholarship.

I have two friends that are Doctors.  One a chiropractor and the other a D.O.

I never call either of them Dr when talking about them or addressing them.  They are friends.  If I am talking about the doctor I personally go to I call them Dr. so-and so.  When I was in college and talking about a teacher I called them Dr so and so.  Seems the respectful thing to do.  I don't refer to Jill Biden as Dr. Jill Bide in every reference because its not necessary in this forum.  But I also don't attempt to belittle her accomplishment by saying "dr" either.  It's a personal choice I guess.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dr. Jill Biden wants BOTH LSU and IOWA WBB to visit White House. - GMDino - 04-09-2023, 10:59 AM