Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Who’s the guy you want in the first.
Tried to find a better thread to put this, but this was the first one I found that I thought was relevant.

With just 2 weeks to the draft, I have to say I still think these early picks are still so completely up in the air when it comes to trying to guess which position or especially player.

Last year, it was arguably easier to predict, as we knew the Bengals needed a safety for impending Bates departure.
This year, I think it could go quite a few ways.
CB - Awuzie and Jones are in a contract year, plus Awuzie is recovering from big injury. A starting CB of the future may be a good selection.

TE - Irv Smith also in a contract year, and he's not been great even before. I wouldn't be surprised if the team just considers Smith a stopgap and wants to find their long-term TE in the draft. TE2 never got filled, so I expect TE to get taken no later than Round 4...but how early will it be?

OT - Bengals still have Jonah, but he's in a contract year, as is Ford. Collins can't stay healthy and wasn't overly good when he played last year. Carman hasn't played on the right side. But do the Bengals think they have their long-term RT on the roster? Do they even have room to add another OT with so many already on the roster?

DL - Bengals added Basham for the edge, but they have him, Reader, and Tupou in contract years. They also might feel an added pass rusher is what they need to really turn this defense into an above-average pass rush. It's easy to say just keep Reader for NT, but he's expensive and might not be able to be kept with impending Burrow, Chase, and Higgins(?) extensions in the works. Who plays NT after this year?

RB - All signs point to Mixon not being on the team next year, if not this year. He carries too high of a cap hit for a non-rush-focal team and he can't pass block. With essentially the RB depth being Trayveon Williams and Chris Evans, the Bengals are highly expected to take a RB early. How early will that be, especially given how RB has been devalued across the league?

WR - A dark horse in the race, but they haven't yet gotten Higgins extended, and they likely aren't keeping Boyd after this season. Both are in contract years. Bengals might choose to prep a year early for a departure of a starter.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who’s the guy you want in the first. - ochocincos - 04-13-2023, 11:39 AM