Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Zac Really Happy With Irv Smith & Drew Sample
(04-19-2023, 12:59 PM)jj22 Wrote: jj22
You sure they disagree with me? Sounds like they are saying the same thing as I did......

You seem like you're being willfully ignorant and using all or nothing thinking. Just because he's not an elite athlete doesn't mean he's unathletic, just because he's not the fastest TE doesn't mean he's slow, and juts because he won't run by a safety doesn't mean he can' get separation/make catches. There's a reason most evaluators have him going in the first round and it's not because he's some oaf. Below is just from the first few evaluations which all pretty much the same thing. He's good to above average at pretty much everything with no glaring weaknesses compared to pretty much everyone else. I don't even think we should take TE in the first round but your assertions of him as a player are asinine. I would be fine taking an athletic freak TE in rounds 3-5

"Mayer’s NFL Combine measurements highlight the lack of elite athletic ability, which we’ll address shortly. However, he’s by no means deficient in this area. No, he won’t win any straight-line races. However, he does showcase quick feet on release and has the lateral agility to change direction quickly. As a result, he can create some separation both on release and when breaking from his route."

"Mayer plays with smoothness and balance, and Mayer shows a knack for setting up defensive backs. Good quickness off the snap. Has good speed for the position to attack the seam. Shows burst out of his breaks to gain separation."

"I have seen him continue to show nuance by utilizing his size to bump and create extra separation but he isn’t likely going to be a run-away athlete. He’s a nightmare to wrangle at the catch point but his quarterback is going to need consistent accuracy when charged with man coverage"

"Tremendous ball skills and contested-catch ability. Mismatch target in the middle of the field"

"Great size to make contested catches and sustain blocks. Soft hands to snatch passes away from his frame"

"While not possessing elite length, the combination of his size and decent length allow him to consistently make catches above the rim. He also showcases good technique as a pass catcher, plucking the ball away from his frame with regularity while being an impressive ball tracker." 

Gronk ran a 4.67. Mark Andrews ran at 4.67. Dallas Goedert ran a 4.69. Meyer ran a 4.70. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Zac Really Happy With Irv Smith & Drew Sample - TheFan - 04-19-2023, 02:02 PM