Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on Keeanu Benton?
(04-21-2023, 04:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I would be alright with Benton at #28, as you can't go wrong with taking the BPA.  Even if your team is currently well stocked at that position, it is a premium position, and makes your current depth in that position group valuable trade pieces.

With that said, I truly feel like the team is going to go non-WR offensive weapon or Secondary with that #28 pick.  I just get a sense that BPA for the Bengals slides to BPA that fills a need or strategy when that situation arises.

I get the same feeling.

Like, it's 6 days from the draft and if you asked me to bet on which player I think will be selected at 28, I'd say Emmanuel Forbes. The Bengals have shown a ton of interest in him, both at the combine and in top 30 visits. He matches Bengals' historical trends with CB in the first round, he perfectly fits a need as we just lost like 60% of our INTs when Bates and Bell left. And his biggest weakness, his weight, wasn't blatantly obvious on tape (he still was aggressive in run fits and is a good tackler). 

The only question is, will other teams agree and take him before our pick and, if they do, what next? Do you go to the next tier of CB and take DJ Turner or Juju Brents?

Or do you go to TE and take Darnell Washington? Because indications are that Mayer will drop to 26 at worst and Kincaid has injury issues and didn't work out, which typically takes him off many teams' first round board (see Andrew Booth last year).

Or do you go RB? Bijan probably isn't there, but do we take Gibbs? Is that a good investment? Or do we wait for the 2nd for Charbonnett or the 3rd/4th for Roschon Johnson/Tyjae Spears? Or do you wait even longer and try for an Eric Gray in the 5th? Lots of RB depth this year.

I think there are a lot of good ways for this team to go. I personally hope we avoid TE in the first just because we clearly don't value it enough to justify the pick. The last 3 years, we've spent less than 6M on the position, which took us out of the running for a few great TEs in free agency like Gesicki and Schultz. Why spend a 1st round pick on a position that you don't even think is worth 6M dollars?).
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Thoughts on Keeanu Benton? - CJD - 04-21-2023, 03:52 PM
RE: Thoughts on Keeanu Benton? - CJD - 04-21-2023, 05:53 PM
RE: Thoughts on Keeanu Benton? - OSUfan - 04-21-2023, 07:05 PM
RE: Thoughts on Keeanu Benton? - CJD - 04-21-2023, 05:42 PM
RE: Thoughts on Keeanu Benton? - OSUfan - 04-21-2023, 07:01 PM
RE: Thoughts on Keeanu Benton? - OSUfan - 04-21-2023, 09:46 PM
RE: Thoughts on Keeanu Benton? - OSUfan - 04-21-2023, 11:53 PM
RE: Thoughts on Keeanu Benton? - OSUfan - 04-22-2023, 10:23 AM