Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Zac Really Happy With Irv Smith & Drew Sample
If I knew Irv Smith was going to be available to play at least 15 games, I'd be absolutely fine with the guys they have. I'd draft another guy in the middle rounds to be a 2 or a 3, but that's about it.

The idea of getting one of the top guys in a stacked TE class is enticing, but I can't get over how little this offense actually uses one. They are still loaded at receiver. It's still highly unlikely that a TE will come into 2023 and be anything more than a 4th option at best. Maybe not even that.

if you're drafting one of these guys in the first because he can block, then that's kind of insane. You can get a TE who specializes in blocking much later.

At the end of the day, when we're talking about first and second round picks, I want to get players that are going to be on the field for the majority of the snaps. That makes it tough to want a running back or TE in the current offense. I might even consider taking a receiver if one I really liked fell. Joe can't become Aaron Rodgers when his prime hits, getting paid a gazillion dollars and making it impossible for the organization to pay the caliber of receivers we have now. You don't prevent that situation by drafting TEs and running backs. At some point, you need young, controllable receivers added to the mix to mitigate the loss when the current guys leave.

Unless you think you're getting Mark Andrews or Travis Kelce (caliber of player) to replace Tee, then you look to corner, DL, OL, or WR in 1. We will have needs at these spots sooner than we want to believe. Having controllable, high caliber young players at those spots will fix a lot of future headaches.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Zac Really Happy With Irv Smith & Drew Sample - samhain - 04-22-2023, 10:39 AM