Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Positional value/Draft approach
(04-25-2023, 11:33 AM)SouthernStripes Wrote: OG board member here. I don't post as much as I did there, but I'm always here reading. This is probably poor armchair GM logic on my part, so feel free to correct me if wrong. Taking a casual glance, it seems like our Bengals don't overall value positions like TE, RB, LB, S, OG, C as high as they value positions like QB, DE, OT, CB, WR, DT.

With the way the Bengals FO values certain positions, it seems to me they would be most likely to draft one of the positions they value the most in Round 1. Spare me the Rivers, Gresham, Eifert, Hill argument as they were BPA according to the team. And we seem to have the secret to drafting good LB/WR on days 2-3.

Let's be honest, we all would love for Joe BRRRow to have a legitimate threat @TE. Outside of a top prospect/BPA falling into our lap, I.E. Kincaid and Mayer, I don't see us taking a TE in Round 1. I love Washington's freakish size and blocking ability, maybe he falls in Round 2. If not, a LaPorta/Musgrave/Kraft/Schoonmaker/Kuntz can be had later.
Obviously, it all depends on how the draft falls in front of us. But I could see them taking someone like OT Wright/Harrison, a DT like Bresee/Kancey or a DB like Banks/Forbes.
Who knows, maybe a DE like Van Ness falls to us. And I don't see Bijan Robinson falling outside Top 15. So with Mixon situation and the need to improve the running game, I would be okay with drafting Jahmyr Gibbs, as he would thrive in this Offense IMO. A lot of teams have him higher than Robinson, so I don't see him making it to us on day 2. I also like Charbonnet/Johnson/Miller and others days 2-3.

All in all, I'm not an expert by any means. These are just the observations of a diehard fan. Nobody here or even in the league knows how this will go. There are always surprises (SEA/NE), but outside of the top 5-10, I see this Draft as the biggest toss up of recent memory. What say you Who Dey Nation?
Based off how this franchise values certain positions over others, I would not be surprised to see them take an OT or CB in Round 1 Thursday night and nab a TE later.
If TE isn't BPA, what position do you think will be our 1st Round pick?
In Duke We Trust!

WIO DEY from NC!!
Tiger

Bengals definitely have a tendency to focus on the "outside" positions over the "inside" ones.
QB, WR, OT, DE, and CB have dominated the Bengals' 1st round selections over the past 20 years.
Other than TE (Mayer or Kincaid) being clear BPA, I really feel it will either be a CB (Forbes, Cam Smith, or Banks) or Darnell Wright (if he's there) at this point.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Positional value/Draft approach - ochocincos - 04-25-2023, 12:01 PM