Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Welcome to the Jungle Jordan Battle
Perhaps the drafting of Battle tells more about how they view Dax than how they view Nick Scott.

Clearly this draft is about replacing costly defensive starters when the offensive cornerstones start getting what they've earned. I felt they'd go DL/DB in 1 and 2 for at least a month, so I have no issue with it.

Back to the point on Battle, perhaps they are looking at Dax Hill as potentially more than a safety. Hilton will eventually need to be re-signed or replaced just like Hendrickson, Reader, the safeties, and Awuzie. I'm unsure of whether or not either Battle or Scott could play free safety, but Hill is probably a viable option at nickel corner if it came down to it.

It's not impossible that we're looking at CTB, Turner and Hill as the 3 starting corners in a nickel package at some point down the road with Battle and Scott being the starting safeties.

I have no issue with letting Jesse Bates walk, but we see slivers of evidence as to what he really meant to this defense in this reloading of personnel. We now have several young players in the secondary with the word "upside" attached. It's not a bad place to be, but Bates was a sure thing playing centerfield in single high. His pick numbers weren't gaudy, but he was consistent in helping prevent big plays vs top-end qbs. We should not underestimate the impact of his departure. That's going to be a tough role for any of these guys to fill early on. I'm not sure any of the 3 safeties at the top of the depth chart is cut out for it, but then again, that's why Bates got paid what he did.

I'm optimistic about the upcoming season, but it's easy for one to assume that the elite on-paper offense will cover for losses on the defensive side. It certainly has the capability. I just think it will be tough for this defense early on as the young secondary makes it's adjustments to larger roles in the league. There won't be a long honeymoon if the early scheduling sends them to KC or has them face Baltimore (when Lamar is actually healthy) or the Bills in September. To me it''s the biggest unknown of the offseason.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Welcome to the Jungle Jordan Battle - samhain - 04-29-2023, 10:30 AM