Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
First three pics - roster shaping
(04-29-2023, 02:43 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I like their long term strategy. Maybe long term is the wrong term but short term it’s certainly not either. And the focus is making it work to keep Tee,Chase, and Joe.

I posted this in another thread, but I feel like you might enjoy reading it here.

Quote:I had a conversation with a lifelong friend, who just happens to be a Steelers fan. He grew up in Eastern PA, and we met as teammates on a Semi-Pro football team. Smart guy (mechanical engineer), played college football and would likely be one heck of a coach. Anyway, we were talking about the draft, and he said that the Bengals are killing it, and stocking themselves to be good for a long time.

I agreed, and mentioned to him that not all Bengal fans are expressing joy with the draft product so far. He chuckled and said "You've got a good team now, when you've already got a good roster that can contend for the title, you draft to maintain that level.". And it would appear that the Bengals are doing just that, drafting to promote from within, rather than paying expensive second and third contracts to excellent and expensive players. If you want to retain your franchise QB, along with his two preferred weapons, you've got to get cheaper in other position groups on the team.

Not every fan would agree with that school of thought, in fact, even I was a bit questioning when free agency started. I went to bed kicking and screaming over the loss of Bates and Bell at the beginning of free agency. Now, after watching them draft Hill and Anderson last year and sign Scott in this free agency, then go onto continue to bolster the DB room with the addition of DJ Turner and Jordan Battle, I'm seeing the bigger picture. Our coaches and management definitely have a plan, a plan that I'm definitely buying into and becoming a fan of.

So, with all of that said, Yes the Bengals are not only drafting to win now, but win for a sustained length of time. In Duke and Zac, I trust!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: First three pics - roster shaping - SunsetBengal - 04-29-2023, 03:00 PM