Poll: Is this team overall better than last year?
Yes, better
No, worse
Not sure
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the team better now compared to last year?
(05-03-2023, 10:27 AM)ochocincos Wrote: This question was posed on the Locked On Bengals podcast. Jake Liscow and Joe Goodberry were talking about it.

Now that the bulk of FA and the draft have completed, the roster is pretty much set.
The only things that might happen are some Summer trades/pickups, but those are usually very few and far between, most often involving backups.

Based on who's on the roster today, is this a better team than last year's squad?

My take:
LT is an upgrade
RT is up in the air, but it could possibly be an upgrade once we get to see Williams, Carman, and Ford out there.
CB I feel is an upgrade overall.
DL should be upgraded some, although mainly from a rotational standpoint.
Same with WR. Depth was improved.
Safety is up in the air with Bates and Bell gone, but I think it will be worse at least for the first 1-2 months. I like the potential of the safeties though.
TE is arguably a downgrade. Irv Smith is no more productive than Hurst and is less durable, and the depth didn't improve.
RB I think has more juice, but pass protection might be worse from that position.
Backup QB is maybe a push, although I've never been a Brandon Allen fan. Maybe it's a downgrade.

Since I cannot confidently say better or worse, I'll vote "not sure yet"

Yes, we are better. The only place on the roster I am not sure is Safety and Dax Hill could be great and Lou liked Nick Scott for a 
reason and we drafted a dude who could be a future stud in Battle. We will probably add a TE after cuts in case Irv Smith gets hit
with injuries again as that is the other place on the roster I am not sure. Maybe before we drafted Chase Brown RB was worse but
I really like Brown and he is a good pass protector and WAY more explosive than Perine.

Our OL should be much better early this season especially our interior as they now have chemistry. As you say, LT is upgraded with
Orlando Brown. I think between Carman and Jonah RT could be good. Burrow will be better because he won't be coming off an 
appendectomy. The pass rush should be better with Myles Murphy, corner depth should be better with DJ Turner and I still think 
Apple is back soon enough unless he has been signed somewhere else which I have not heard. WR depth is better and so is the 
Returner situation with Charlie Jones and the ST's is better with this Draft and Robbins at Punter etc.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the team better now compared to last year? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 05-03-2023, 01:14 PM