Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
The Trans Movement Just Hit Home.......
(05-04-2023, 10:02 PM)samhain Wrote: I believe being overweight is often not as much of a choice as people assume.  People's bodies are all different.  I used to say that fat people were they last group in the US that you could make fun of and get away with it.  The stigma is significant and very much visual.  Still, it's an assumption to presume that all overweight people are fat because they are lazy or because they overeat.  Some conditions outside of mere lifestyle choice have a major impact.  Maybe we should be more conscious of that.

That said, being overweight is also very likely to cause major health consequences and potentially even death.  I really don't think it's something we should make a point to encourage.  Smoking is frowned upon because it's a choice that we all know kills.  People still do it, but we don't defend them as a protected class.

Maybe we should all just mind our own business.

My weight is one thing I've never had an issue with, but I will say it is damn hard to stay thin in this country because everything is loaded with high fructose corn syrup and fat and even people who are very conscious about dietary stuff still fall prey to our totally warped view of portion sizes. Add in this:

Do you want companies to be restricted in how unhealthy they can make food that people eat?
AMERICANS - NO!
Ok, well do you want free healthcare?
AMERICANS - NO!

I was thinking too about how sensitive people are to weight gain in relation to other health concerns and issues.  Like, imagine the outrage if the water in Flint Michigan or that toxic train explosion in Ohio made everyone there put on 100lbs overnight rather than possibly get cancer in 10 years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Trans Movement Just Hit Home....... - Nately120 - 05-04-2023, 10:07 PM