Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
The Trans Movement Just Hit Home.......
(05-04-2023, 06:48 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Every generation within a given culture or country is more progressive than the previous generation. I don't know why this is the case necessarily, but it is undeniable at this point.

Just as a historical sidebar, this is not really true. Especially if you are using current (liberal) definitions of "progressive."

E.g., in 20th century Europe, Fascist regimes worked deliberately to oppose progressive gender and race politics, pushed women
out of the professions and back into the home, etc.

I'm not sure how the term "progressive" would apply to the ancient Mediterranean world at any point--maybe Athens between 600 and 340 BCE? Rome for the first 250 years of the Republic? If we follow the Old Testament prophets, each seems to think his generation is less godly than the previous--maybe "less godly" is what we'd call "progressive"?  

Looking at Asian civilizations, there are periods we Westerners approve of--Asoka's reign in India, Baghdad under the Abbasids--but whatever
we thought "progressive" about them wasn't carried forward by succeeding generations.  

Anyway, I think you are on to something in the sense that, in the U.S. there has always been a dialectical movement from liberal to conservative and back again, but as decades and centuries pass it seems "progressive" values increasingly win out and become permanent. Conservatives eventually identify with them too. What conservatives previously opposed become what conservatives have always supported. 50 years from now I would not be surprised if conservatives were arguing that conservatism always supported trans surgery because it always supported "choice" and "freedom." 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Trans Movement Just Hit Home....... - Dill - 05-04-2023, 11:05 PM