Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
The Trans Movement Just Hit Home.......
(05-04-2023, 11:29 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So all I’m saying is we can’t compare todays progressives or conservatives and act like they are false because of previous generations versions. I have no problem saying what I was once against and am now for. I don’t pretend I’ve been in favor of gay marriage all along

Just for the record, I compare today's progressives/conservatives with yesterday's to understand political/historical change occurs, not to finger
someone as "false."  If I were born in 1900, I have no idea if I'd have supported women's rights in 1919 or not. I'm not personally "better" than any person of that time who debated these issues because I am "smarter" in the 21st century.

I don't think liberal democracies can work without a conservative party, as I've argued before. I don't understand how they can work with only liberals.

That said, though, I think it a good thing to understand how conservativism has had a peculiar difficulty standing on "the right side of history,"
given its eventual acceptance of the values it opposes. Why were "liberals" getting it right the first time around? 

There were conservatives who claimed to oppose segregation in the 1960s, but when push came to shove, always sided with police and racists against those who demonstrated against it. Order over justice. What about conservatism led to that choice? Why the current difficulty condemning Trump, who is NOT a conservative--at least not in the tradition which runs from Burke to Buckley jr.? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Trans Movement Just Hit Home....... - Dill - 05-04-2023, 11:39 PM