Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
DJ Reader gone after this season
(05-04-2023, 07:16 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Was going to start a thread about Dexter Lawrence and the Giants agreeing upon a 4 year $90 million dollar extension in the Around the NFL thread.  But this does affect the Bengals I feel in that it essentially ensures Reader will not be a Bengal after the upcoming season- assuming the plan is to keep the three amigos together.

I thought the same thing when I heard that number.  I asked "Is he that much better than Reader?"  I sure don't think so. Looks like the deal has $60 million guaranteed and it is a 4 year extension beyond the 5th year option where he makes a little over $12 million, and it makes his average salary over the next 5 years 22.5 million.   Reader may take a 3 year deal to stay in Cincy that has a solid amount that the Bengals will honor.  How much is that?  No clue.  Reader is in the last year of a 4 year, $53 million contract, which at the time made him the highest paid DT in the NFL.  He will be 30 when he is a FA after next season.  

The Bengals obviously really like him and they haven't drafted an heir apparent.  That age component, though.  

With the growth of the cap and probably letting Hendrickson ending after the 2024 season, it could represent a huge savings by replacing him with Murphy and other young draft picks that allows dollars for Reader.  

They could have their relatively inexpensive secondary as well.  

It will be interesting.  Personally, I love the guy in our run-heavy AFC North.  No matter how powerful the offense is, a team that can run the ball limits possessions and can keep your weapons off the field.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
DJ Reader gone after this season - BenZoo2 - 05-04-2023, 09:03 PM
RE: DJ Reader gone after this season - SHRacerX - 05-05-2023, 08:24 AM