Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
DJ Reader gone after this season
(05-06-2023, 09:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: There were 4 interior defenders that had "elite" overall grades in 2022:  In order:  Chris Jones, Dexter Lawrence, Aaron Donald, and Quinnen Williams.  DJ Reader was rated #6 overall, with an overall grade of 85.  DJ also had a pass rush rating of 84.1, the same as Quinnen Williams.  It isn't that he doesn't offer a pass rush, but he prevents the QB from stepping up and that helps the outside rush get home.  He may not have gaudy sack stats but he is a very highly rated interior defensive lineman. 

Dexter was also rated just a 68.6 in the NFL in 2021, while Reader was still in the high 70s.  Dexter is a beast, no doubt, but it does feel a bit like he turned it on for his contract year, while DJ has been the model of consistency.

I don't like the Hubbard vs. Parsons analogy because they don't play the same position.  Parsons has incredible versatility and is one of the best defensive players overall while I see Hubbard as mid-tier.  DJ is far from mid-tier, and Lawrence isn't head and shoulders above the likes of Jones, Donald, and Williams. 

DJ doesn't have the pressures or the sacks and those get the big money.

I used Sam (great und defender) and Micah (great pass defender) to simply make a point that the value in run defense is far behind that of pass rush.  I love DJ and hope we can keep him. 

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
DJ Reader gone after this season - BenZoo2 - 05-04-2023, 09:03 PM
RE: DJ Reader gone after this season - casear2727 - 05-06-2023, 07:56 PM