Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Newest attempted power grab by Ohio Republicans
(05-10-2023, 10:31 PM)pally Wrote: I honestly go back and forth about eliminating the filibuster.  On one hand, it prevents good legislation from going through.  On the other hand it also prevents bad legislation from going through. Both sides are so deeply entrenched in their corners of not letting the other side have a victory that the Senate is totally dysfunctional.  They won't even legitimately sit down and actually negotiate. And while I might applaud what would be passed under the Democrats, I am equally certain I would be cringing if the Republicans had control without the filibuster.

The filibuster puts us back into the dysfunction of the Articles of Confederation.  

Remember, Jefferson et al. came out of the Constitutional Convention determined that legislation should be passed
by a simple majority. 

It evolved to give minority control of national legislation, of the kind your thread is arguing against at the state level.

I think if Republicans had control without the filibuster they would likely vote it back in.  Even if they didn't, it is important that
voters get to test their policies. A little cringe in the short run might be good for the long run; responsibility for policies (or lack thereof) would be clearer.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Newest attempted power grab by Ohio Republicans - Dill - 05-11-2023, 10:27 AM