Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Newest attempted power grab by Ohio Republicans
(05-11-2023, 11:05 AM)pally Wrote: That's why I go back and forth.  In the long run, it should go away, along with a single senator being able to block anything.  I don't trust the system without safeguards.  If we had people in office who were actually interested in doing their jobs as opposed to being the next soundbite, I would feel much better about removing it

Safeguards, yes, but it's important that they safeguard democracy, not its opposite. 

E.g., gerrymandering is a "safeguard" of sorts, but for party power, not democracy.

No state can or would openly make gerrymandering a law, but they can pass/overturn seemingly unrelated laws which
disguise and enable it. https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/05/north-carolina-new-republican-court.html

At the moment, I don't see how the filibuster really safeguards democracy. Would you be ok with a change in Senate rules which required 
the party which called a filibuster to actually filibuster, i.e., get on the Senate floor and talk for 24-48 or however many hours were required?

So long as soundbites can translate to votes and re-election, it's doubtful we'll see any change in our politicians.
We'll have to get better quality voters to effect that. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Newest attempted power grab by Ohio Republicans - Dill - 05-11-2023, 12:59 PM