Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Newest attempted power grab by Ohio Republicans
(05-11-2023, 12:32 PM)pally Wrote: I don't think I am contradicting myself.  Expansion of the courts and House actually opens up access to our government. There are logical reasons to increase the size of the House, Fed Judicial Districts, and SCOTUS including workload and proper representation. 

There is no reason to change the threshold for amending the Constitution other than fear of losing 2 upcoming votes.  Ohio has never gone overboard with amending the Constitution.  And to sneak through on an August special election that just months ago the same people made illegal.  What is so prevailing that they are shoving it onto the electorate in 3 months instead of placing it on the November general election ballot? An election that far more people would participate in.  Oh yeah...the abortion question will be on the Nov ballot.  Can't let that happen.  And if this new change is so important, why only require a 50% vote for it to pass?  Shouldn't a 60& threshold require 60%

If I understand you, you are not arguing that the legislature should not change the threshold from 50 to 60% because 50% has been in place for 100 years.

Rather, you are opposed to the change because its apparent sole purpose is to make sure Ohio voters cannot change a law that the majority would want changed. Your criterion for evaluating laws governing referendums is whether or not they allow for proper democratic representation--not whether they have been around for a long time.

Do I have that right? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Newest attempted power grab by Ohio Republicans - Dill - 05-11-2023, 01:21 PM