Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
The Trans Movement Just Hit Home.......
(05-11-2023, 03:24 PM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: Except people are having reassignment surgery. How is that not wanting to be the opposite sex?

Those procedures are for the purposes of gender-affirmation. They occur when the individual desires to have certain normative physical traits associated with a biological classification [male / female]. If a biological male identifies as a woman in terms of their gender, they may also desire to possess certain physical traits / features of the biological classification they feel aligns more accurately with their gender. This is not a desire to be "the opposite sex" -- but rather, a more accurate external representation of their true internal self. Of course, this doesn't apply to all transgender people, as some neither desire the physical attributes of one classification or another, nor feel that any aspect of their gender is comprised of, or derived from, the physical.

If a gay man wears makeup and feminine clothing, does it follow that he wants to be the opposite sex?
If a cis women wants to become incredibly muscular, does it follow that she wants to be a the opposite sex?

If a biological female feels that a penis more accurately represents their internal identity, it doesn't automatically follow they want to be the opposite sex, or instead, does it points to a desire to be more physically consistent within the framework of their own identity? There are transgender people who have both a penis and breasts. What "sex" do you think they're attempting to be? There are cisgender people who have the genitalia, chromosomes or reproductive organs of both biological sexes. What gender would you have them identify as?

Quote:Right.

But that doesn't mean people can't be swayed into believing they're something they're not. 

Sure, a person could be persuaded to believe many things. However, if that's the basis of evaluating identity, then you and I could deconstruct every aspect of each other's identity using that premise; to the point where everything about who we are is completely arbitrary and without internal origin. It seems to me that would be a rather nonsensical approach to identity, because while we all have external pressures and influences, their is an internal essence about each of us that the external world can never touch. Look into a mirror while alone with your thoughts. What you experience in that moment is you. No matter the opinions or determinations of others, only you know who you truly are.

People have told me I'm not really gay my entire life; that it's just a choice, a phase or a mental illness. However, my internal self knows what those people only pretend to know; who I truly am. Only the individual can know who they truly are. To assert they are mistaken or misled is a rather arrogant presumption that implies you know the person better than they know themselves.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread