Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Newest attempted power grab by Ohio Republicans
(05-14-2023, 12:17 AM)samhain Wrote: I get the sentiment, and I believe that that Garland deserved a hearing.

Even so, I blame one person and one person alone for the Barrett nomination and subsequent end of Roe.

That shit is on RBG all day long.  Not many other libs will say it, but she helped end abortion on demand more than anyone involved in the conversation.  When she went through several bouts of life-threatening health issues coupled with advanced age, yet still refused to retire, she basically guaranteed a Republican replacement of the worst kind.  

Obama tried to talk her into retirement when he was in office in order to name a liberal replacement when he had the juice.  She refused.  She messed around and the rest of use found out.  Just too damned arrogant and full of herself to realize how much damage she was doing to the cause she was allegedly such a ferocious defender of.  

I get what you're saying but your assessment of RBG is a bit harsh.  First, I doubt anyone seriously predicted the rise of Trump and his eventual victory.  As loathed as Hillary was/is I don't think anyone on the GOP side but Trump would have beaten her.  But even more importantly, your ire should be squarely directed at the Democratic party for the end of Roe.  They had numerous occasions in which they could have codified Roe into federal law and chose not to do so.  The most recent being under Obama, who campaigned on doing exactly that and then, upon being elected declared that it, "wasn't a priority."

https://www.reuters.com/article/obama-abortion/obama-says-abortion-rights-law-not-a-top-priority-idUKN2946642020090430

The reason for this is simple, the Dems used Roe as a massive fund raising tool.  They knew that "protecting Roe" would be a motivating factor to mobilize left leaning voters.  So they chose to leave things as they were so they could continue to fund raise and mobilize people with this issue.  Once it was federal law they would no longer be able to do so.  So you are right, someone eff'ed around and we all found out, but the someone who did wasn't RBG, it was the Democratic party.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Newest attempted power grab by Ohio Republicans - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 05-14-2023, 12:28 PM