Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Newest attempted power grab by Ohio Republicans
(05-14-2023, 12:28 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I get what you're saying but your assessment of RBG is a bit harsh.  First, I doubt anyone seriously predicted the rise of Trump and his eventual victory.  As loathed as Hillary was/is I don't think anyone on the GOP side but Trump would have beaten her.  But even more importantly, your ire should be squarely directed at the Democratic party for the end of Roe.  They had numerous occasions in which they could have codified Roe into federal law and chose not to do so.  The most recent being under Obama, who campaigned on doing exactly that and then, upon being elected declared that it, "wasn't a priority."

https://www.reuters.com/article/obama-abortion/obama-says-abortion-rights-law-not-a-top-priority-idUKN2946642020090430

The reason for this is simple, the Dems used Roe as a massive fund raising tool.  They knew that "protecting Roe" would be a motivating factor to mobilize left leaning voters.  So they chose to leave things as they were so they could continue to fund raise and mobilize people with this issue.  Once it was federal law they would no longer be able to do so.  So you are right, someone eff'ed around and we all found out, but the someone who did wasn't RBG, it was the Democratic party.

Idk.  I think codifying Roe was something the Dems feared for electoral reasons.  The representatives in deep blue states/district wouldn't have an issue, but any dem that voted to codify abortion as a federal right would be in serious trouble if they were setting up for tight races for re-election.  There's zero chance that the GOP would not have exploited the chance to whoop up the religious base, just as the dems have done with theirs after the GOP finally killed Roe.  

I think they knew there would be consequences and hoped that the court would continue to interpret Roe as the law of the land.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Newest attempted power grab by Ohio Republicans - samhain - 05-14-2023, 07:46 PM