Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DJ Turner versus Cam Taylor Britt - (Young, developing 2nd round Corners)
My recollection from the 2022 NFL draft off season was that CTB was a late riser, often considered a 3rd round pick until a week or two before the draft. He was considered a bit of a tweener, having playing both CB and safety in colllege, with some projecting him to play safety in the NFL due to some outlets questioning his hip tightness and change of direction abilities in man coverage. He does, however, have great physicality at the line of scrimmage, point of attack and in the run game. He was also adept in zone coverage. I think his 40 time got him back into the CB discussion and made him a late riser. Admittedly, I was a bit nervous about the selection because a player who rises due to workout numbers that don't necessarily match his game tape are risky.

DJ Turner was also a bit of a later riser, although his "riser" status went much higher than CTB's, occasionally slipping into the bottom of the first round in mock drafts. Running the fastest 40 at the combine will do that. My concern was that he was a 3rd round prospect who ran a good 40 and enticed people without "earning it," per se. But once I actually watched him play, his tape makes me comfortable with him at 60 and, actually, extremely happy with the pick (whereas with CTB, I was a little concerned about his late riser status).

Turner, almost completely counter to CTB, has some of the smoothest hips and best change of direction in the draft along with elite speed to match and play any WR man to man. His weaknesses were physicality at the LOS and point of attack as well as tackling, especially in run support.

If only fusion dances were real, they could combine to become the best CB in NFL history XD.

I could see the Bengals matching CTB up on bigger receivers and putting Turner on whichever WR is quickest on the opposing team. Turner could move inside to slot if he is dealing with a particularly slippery receiver there as well. In fact, slot corner may end up being his best role, although I imagine they will try him out on the outside first since a lock down outside CB is one of the most valuable positions in the NFL.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: DJ Turner versus Cam Taylor Britt - (Young, developing 2nd round Corners) - CJD - 05-15-2023, 03:18 PM