Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The NYPD Took This Dog Into Custody Because His Owner Filmed the Police
(05-21-2023, 10:03 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Look, the issue with any analysis of policies with regards to law enforcement is that they are very hard to assess. I'm working on my master's and was just in a class where we went into program assessment. The professor's favorite area is in the criminal justice realm (specifically reentry, drug courts, things of that nature, but we ventured far and wide) and we looked at a number of different programs from around the country where there was published literature on the assessments done.

The big issue is that none of these assessments can ever meet the sort of rigor needed to claim causal implications. It's just not possible to do so. As a result there are a lot of conflicting data and analyses out there on the effectiveness of these programs. Depending on what agenda you are serving or pushing will determine what you conclude.

All that being said, I am somewhat of a community policing advocate. I just think there are some adjustments needed to it. It's also a bit of a weird sight given the vests so many departments use now--though I am happy they have them because I know it saves their backs. Like, not from stabbings or shootings, I am talking from the weight distribution of the gear.

I'm not going to take issue with how hard it is to analyze.

**Edit to add: Statistics was NOT my favorite college course! LOL! No matter how much I loved numbers and number crunching!**

But if they made 1000 stops and 10 arrests vs making more arrests after an actual crime and solving more crimes because they had feet on the street that at least shows that randomly stopping people wasn't as effective.

I am FOR having more neighborhood policing.  Let the people know each other and that will help reduce crime/solve more crimes IMHO.  Something they never should have gotten away from.

I am against randomly stopping people and frisking them because you are sure you have enough experience to "know" that they are suspicious.  Too many "resisting arrest" charges getting laid out for people who were doing nothing wrong but got stopped anyway.

Or, as in the case of the OP, "obstruction of government administration" which conveniently gets an advocate off the streets for awhile until the charges are dropped and no officer is reprimanded for it.  Even in the story the men being stopped were not charged with anything.  

To me that is a waste of resources.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The NYPD Took This Dog Into Custody Because His Owner Filmed the Police - GMDino - 05-21-2023, 10:19 AM