Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
MYTH: GOP is better for the Economy
(05-22-2023, 05:30 PM)pally Wrote:  This party is so far away from traditional Republicanism that the party of the past wouldn't recognize todays.  I've always leaned towards the more liberal side of the party than tried and true conservative side.  The current party moved so far to the right that people like me were no longer connected to them

But, it is amazing how one can grow, evolve, and change previously held opinions.  IMO, the fiscal choices of the Democrats are far less harmful to this country than the politics of the 1950's that the Republicans seem to favor.  The Democratic Party looks forward and the Republican look backward.  The Democratic Party has ideas and the Republicans complain but offer no actual alternatives.  

The authoritarian, Christian-nationalist bent of today's republican party should scare the hell over anyone who claims to be a patriot

Politics in the US are really weird.  I'd probably be a moderate-ish conservative if the culture war politics weren't so prevalent.  I don't love taxes and overregulation, and I definitely prefer a world where the US is the dominant global power (it's not perfect, but it beats the alternatives).  I basically think able-bodies people should work hard and should be able to retire with some dignity at some point.  

It's just so strange that the things that impact political affiliations are some of the least impactful on the largest number of people, ie the culture war crap.  I can't believe that drag queens are actually being targeted by a major political party on a national level, and it's working for the party.  They've been around forever, and nobody really got their panties in a twist about it.  Now they're groomers that are a danger to kids.  Nutso.  

People accuse the left of making shit up to be outraged over, and to a large extent, they are right.  Unfortunately, the right is no different.  They aren't overly creative, so gay-bashing and fear mongering is a solid go to.  The formula is simple, and they've done it for years.  Find a smallish group of people, blame them for something horrific (or call them pedos as in the modern vernacular), rile up the base, rinse, repeat.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: MYTH: GOP is better for the Economy - samhain - 05-22-2023, 10:31 PM