Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
MYTH: GOP is better for the Economy
(05-23-2023, 01:48 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: That's gone mostly out the window, it's b/c both sides fear the other side that's in power to get any credit whatsoever.  Gone are the days of John Mccain trying to work across the aisle.  We do need term limits in Congress b/c as it is now, there are just way too many old scores to settle and everyone in Congress is out to get one another for a broken promise decades ago. 

I thought John McCain would have made a great President b/c of his ability to work both sides and get things accomplished.  I actually canvassed for him promoting his campaign, and if he picked someone other than Palin he probably would have won it.  I've always identified as a left-leaning libertarian and I did vote for Trump in 2016, b/c of his sentiment on the Iraq war. However, I quickly realized what his true intentions were and that was not to be president it's to be an authoritarian dictator.  Trump is definitely not a fiscal conservative, and that's what I think ppl were looking for in him.  Plus, he's done more damage to our democracy than Xi or Putin could have ever dreamt of doing and this is b/c of his malignant narcissism---a trait possessed by all authoritarians.   

I remember when McCain was speaking with that voter at the town hall thing and the woman said she's afraid of Obama because he's an Arab and McCain cut her off and said that he wasn't and that he wanted to focus on policy and so on.  I had a gf at the time who was a republican and she responded that McCain completely blew it by saying that and Obama was almost a shoe in now.

That was the point where I saw an educated republican admit that failing to lie and/or lean into culture war stuff that politicians and smart voters know is a lie but don't care about was harmful to the GOP's election chances.   Academically I get it, but the idea that McCain can't say that Obama is NOT a dangerous Arab was a sign where the party was headed.  

McCain and his style/supporters would eventually become an enemy to the Trumps and Kari Lakes of the world, so that says a lot, too.  Gore v McCain in 2000 would have been a more beneficial election in my mind, but thems the breaks.  I guess he really was a political fossil who got left behind by the shift of the right wing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: MYTH: GOP is better for the Economy - Nately120 - 05-23-2023, 02:05 PM