Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
The Trans Movement Just Hit Home.......
(06-03-2023, 12:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: TBF guns actually harm children.  Drag queens/trans people, books do not.  So....

To be fair, I didn't say drag queens or transgender people harmed kids.  What I did say was the HRT and irreversible surgery done to minors can, and does, cause them lifelong harm.  Kindly stick to responding to arguments I actually make.

As for kids and firearms, if you're not a teenage gang member your chances of being shot as a child are extremely slight.  You're light years more likely to die in a car accident.  http://www.gunfacts.info/gun-policy-info/children-and-guns/

(06-03-2023, 12:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm speaking more towards the notion that trans people and letting trans people be part of normal society is what harms children, not the transitioning of children themselves.

And there are certainly some people who think that way.  But I think you'll find that the vast majority of the uproar over transgender people is what's being done to children.  Next on the list would be transwomen in women's only spaces, such as locker rooms, shelters and sports.  I think the vast, vast majority of people are live and let live.  It's when it harms children or intrudes on others that people start to take issue.

Quote:And maturity isn't measured by these laws, it's the simple legality of declaring a person who is 18 to be an adult because that's really all the schooling we want to give them for free.  Our rules are pretty weird if you think about them.  At 16 I can pilot a 2000lb missile legally, but I can't rent one, and I can't smoke a lucky strike while I do so, and if I'm out driving and someone causes a ruckus I can't legally carry a firearm to protect myself.

I certainly won't argue that the ages we set are rather arbitrary.  But seeing as they exist one should logically follow them.  If you go strictly on science then no one should be voting, drinking, gambling etc. until they're twenty-five, when the brain becomes fully developed.  Oddly enough, no one is advocating for that.

Quote:It's all about money and legality, maturity?  What is that, even?  I think a lot of people aged 18 and way up describing trans and gay people as gross and weird to be somewhat immature, but now I'm rambling.  Maturity doesn't magically come at 18 and for many it never comes at all.

And I'd devil's advocate argue that the best way to scare kids out of transitioning before they are 18 is to let some kids do it and then parade the regretful ones in front of every right-wing private school.  This is Johnny...he's got a busted wiener because he thought being turned into a girl would be totally rad.  See?  This are just like those "scared straight" videos that apply to crime and driving like a maniac we have to show kids.

I'm not comfortable with the idea of allowing some people to ruin their lives so they can be an abject warning to others.  I know that you're not advocating for that either.  But if we set arbitrary ages for activities with much less long term consequence then should we not stick to the reasoning behind that?

Quote:And I'll only mention this country loving to deny that people under 18 are mature enough to do anything other than stuff that can lead them to being gleefully tried as an adult.

As you might expect this topic comes up among my peers all the time.  Under CA law there are a certain subset of crimes, listed under 707(b) WIC, that a minor can be potentially tried as an adult.  As you would expect they are the most serious crimes.  The limit of juvenile jurisdiction in CA is age 25, and that only if you've committed a 707b offense and had the petition sustained in delinquency court.  Without the ability to transfer jurisdiction to adult court the most a 17 years old who murdered multiple people could serve in detention would be eight years.  You should see some of the crimes these teenagers commit, absolutely brutal and cold blooded.  Imagine being the family of a murder victim and finding out that the most time your loved one's killer can receive is eight years and then their completely free.  I've interacted with numerous victims and families and I can tell you it's gut wrenching to just talk with them, let alone actually be one of them.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Trans Movement Just Hit Home....... - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-03-2023, 02:35 PM