Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
The Trans Movement Just Hit Home.......
(06-03-2023, 04:47 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think the legislation we've been seeing runs contrary to your statement. It still may be the majority focusing on that stuff, but it isn't in any way "vast." I would also be more inclined to agree with you if legislation targeting gender affirming care focused only on HRT and surgery. However, the legislation being passed makes it illegal for a minor to receive psychological treatment that in any way provides them support in a trans identity.

And in those instances I would be 100% against it.  No one should be denied psychological treatment for any malady, perceived, imaginary or otherwise.

Quote:Let's also be clear, surgery for a minor is exceedingly rare. HRT is rare, but not as much so and more for older adolescents.

Being rare doesn't make them any more acceptable or their consequences any less significant.

Quote:Puberty blockers are more common and are a reversible treatment. However, if a young person recognizes their identity at an early enough age the use of them in the prevention of gender dysphoria is crucial, as is psychological and social affirmation. Denying those things to young trans people can be damaging to them and is a step backwards in society.

Are puberty blockers reversible?  There doesn't seem to be a consensus on this now.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gender-dysphoria/treatment/

I also find it hard to believe that making major changes to a person's hormonal development will not have long term effects.  I understand for people truly suffering from gender dysphoria that preventing puberty can be helpful.  Can you definitively state that these instances justify their use, especially when the consensus on their reversibility is no longer a consensus?

Quote:I think that the reality of all of this was laid bare when a state legislator, I believe in Montana, said they would rather their child be dead than trans. They may be using the cover of "protecting the children," but everything they are doing is more harmful to children than helpful and is more about the erasure of trans people in society.

No, you absolutely cannot use one extreme person's statement as indicative of the position of everyone else on that side of the issue.  That would be like me saying that a BLM leader who calls for the killing of law enforcement officers is proof that all BLM supporters want to murder law enforcement. There are absolutely people motivated by bigotry on both sides of this issue.  I don't think either extreme is indicative of the opinions of the rest.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Trans Movement Just Hit Home....... - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-03-2023, 05:02 PM