Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
The Trans Movement Just Hit Home.......
(06-03-2023, 05:02 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: And in those instances I would be 100% against it.  No one should be denied psychological treatment for any malady, perceived, imaginary or otherwise.

Agreed

(06-03-2023, 05:02 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Being rare doesn't make them any more acceptable or their consequences any less significant.

Agreed. However, the focus on the exceptions to the rule and using those rare circumstances to enact much broader reaching policy is questionable.

(06-03-2023, 05:02 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Are puberty blockers reversible?  There doesn't seem to be a consensus on this now.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gender-dysphoria/treatment/

I also find it hard to believe that making major changes to a person's hormonal development will not have long term effects.  I understand for people truly suffering from gender dysphoria that preventing puberty can be helpful.  Can you definitively state that these instances justify their use, especially when the consensus on their reversibility is no longer a consensus?

From the link you shared:
Quote:Little is known about the long-term side effects of hormone or puberty blockers in children with gender dysphoria.

Although GIDS advises this is a physically reversible treatment if stopped, it is not known what the psychological effects may be.

It's also not known whether hormone blockers affect the development of the teenage brain or children's bones. Side effects may also include hot flushes, fatigue and mood alterations.

Right now the consensus is that there are no known irreversible effects from puberty blockers. More studies are obviously needed, as is the case with all of these things. The issue is that we can only do studies on this sort of thing as they come along.

(06-03-2023, 05:02 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: No, you absolutely cannot use on extreme person's statement as indicative of the position of everyone else on that side of the issue.  That would be like me saying that a BLM leader who calls for the killing of law enforcement officers is proof that all BLM supporters want to murder law enforcement. There are absolutely people motivated by bigotry on both sides of this issue.  I don't think either extreme is indicative of the opinions of the rest.

Fair. I just haven't heard any condemnation of that statement out of anyone in the Montana legislature on their side of the vote. I understand if someone not there doesn't know about it to condemn it, but those that heard those words aren't saying anything and that, to me, says a lot.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Trans Movement Just Hit Home....... - Belsnickel - 06-03-2023, 05:28 PM