Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Newest attempted power grab by Ohio Republicans
(06-05-2023, 10:41 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The left took abortion to an extreme and why the Supreme Court intervened.

That abortion laws in the US were among the most permissive in the world is not in dispute.  That being said, I take issue with saying SCOTUS "intervened".  What they did was state that the 14th amendment right to privacy did not extend to abortion.  IMO this is a much less radical position than Roe, which said it did.  

Quote:They pushed abortion back to the states which is where it belongs. Medical science has learned a lot since Roe vs Wade. and when a baby is no longer a fetus, but a living baby who feels pain in the womb.

Respectfully, this type of argument doesn't advance the issue.  The ardent pro-choice side isn't going to care about this and it's not definitive enough to persuade people who may be on the fence.

Quote:I agree there should be  compromise in every state. I feel 6 weeks is too soon, and 10-12 weeks unless the life of the mother is in jeopardy at any point in the pregnancy. 

Your position here isn't very clear.  Six weeks is "too soon" for what?  If I'm interpreting you correctly you think six weeks is too low a cut off point but 10-12 weeks is a reasonable cut off point.  As stated in my previous post, 3 months for elective abortion would put the US squarely in line with the vast majority of Europe, so in the regard I agree, it would be a good compromise.

Quote:I have lived my life fighting for the baby while others have no issue killing babies late term. Again, this assumption is based on a healthy mother. A mother who has been raped should be able to make a decision within the 10-12 weeks to terminate the pregnancy.

Ehh, you're omitting a lot of potential factors here.  Some women don't report the rape out of fear or shame.  Some women hide the pregnancy for the same reason, especially if they are under age.  A woman who has been sexually assaulted and is now pregnant because of it is going through a tremendous amount of trauma.  One way many people deal with trauma is to ignore it/bury it.  While this never works long term it's a very common thing in the short term.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Newest attempted power grab by Ohio Republicans - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-05-2023, 11:32 AM