Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Lou is going to HAVE to call cover 2 way more this year
(06-05-2023, 03:34 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I could not agree more with this. On multiple levels. 

First off, to the OPs post, with Chido back, CTB in year two, and Turner here, I think we are better at CB, despite losing Apple & Flowers. Better CBs means we hold up better in man. Less cover 2 needed. 

Secondly, with regard to safety, I don't regard Bates as a massive loss. He was a good player, but inconsistent. At his best, a great CF/FS type. But not a great tackler. And I loved Bell's instincts, leadership, toughness, & nose for the ball. But he was not the fleetest of foot. And that PF in the SB was brutal. 

Thirdly, with Hill & Scott, we are faster and more flexible. Either guy could play CF/FS like Bates, or move closer to the line and play SS like Bell. And Hill has experience at slot corner. Both guys may hit some bumps positionally, but I think Battle is a good replacement for Bell/Bates in terms of understanding & positioning. He is not the athlete that Hill, Scott, Anderson, or Bates are, but his understanding is great & his straight line speed is pretty good. Good enough. A nice insurance policy if things get bumpy at S. 

Fourth, with regard to Scott, he was good enough for the Rams to win the SB with him starting, against us. I did not notice a bunch of our guys running around wide open because Scott messed up. He picked Brady in the POs. The question of if he is good enough to win a SB with has already been asked & answered. Plus, I think some of the Rams' issues were with Ramsey going rogue at times. In Lou I trust. 

Chido back healthy. CTB in year 2. Turner. The CBs are upgraded. So too the pass rush with Ossai healthy to start & he and Murphy both spelling Trey & Sam. Carter was way better towards the end of last season, he should be better. LB is the same top 5. Even if we take a slight step back at S early on, I think the steps forward elsewhere still spell a defensive improvement. And I am pretty bullish on Hill & Battle. By the end of the year, we could be better at S. 
Wasn't it Bates, who stood and watched Kelcie catch A TD ?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lou is going to HAVE to call cover 2 way more this year - sandwedge - 06-05-2023, 03:56 PM