Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Lou is going to HAVE to call cover 2 way more this year
(06-05-2023, 03:34 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I could not agree more with this. On multiple levels. 

First off, to the OPs post, with Chido back, CTB in year two, and Turner here, I think we are better at CB, despite losing Apple & Flowers. Better CBs means we hold up better in man. Less cover 2 needed. 

Secondly, with regard to safety, I don't regard Bates as a massive loss. He was a good player, but inconsistent. At his best, a great CF/FS type. But not a great tackler. And I loved Bell's instincts, leadership, toughness, & nose for the ball. But he was not the fleetest of foot. And that PF in the SB was brutal. 

Thirdly, with Hill & Scott, we are faster and more flexible. Either guy could play CF/FS like Bates, or move closer to the line and play SS like Bell. And Hill has experience at slot corner. Both guys may hit some bumps positionally, but I think Battle is a good replacement for Bell/Bates in terms of understanding & positioning. He is not the athlete that Hill, Scott, Anderson, or Bates are, but his understanding is great & his straight line speed is pretty good. Good enough. A nice insurance policy if things get bumpy at S. 

Fourth, with regard to Scott, he was good enough for the Rams to win the SB with him starting, against us. I did not notice a bunch of our guys running around wide open because Scott messed up. He picked Brady in the POs. The question of if he is good enough to win a SB with has already been asked & answered. Plus, I think some of the Rams' issues were with Ramsey going rogue at times. In Lou I trust. 

Chido back healthy. CTB in year 2. Turner. The CBs are upgraded. So too the pass rush with Ossai healthy to start & he and Murphy both spelling Trey & Sam. Carter was way better towards the end of last season, he should be better. LB is the same top 5. Even if we take a slight step back at S early on, I think the steps forward elsewhere still spell a defensive improvement. And I am pretty bullish on Hill & Battle. By the end of the year, we could be better at S. 

Great post. So true and yes, with the addition of Myles Murphy and Ossai growing as a pass rusher this should really help out the Secondary.

They won't have to cover near as long if our pass rush is getting home. 

Well said on Ramsey going rogue at times and it resulted in the bad pass coverage rating with the rest of that Secondary. That isn't going to 
happen in Lou's Defense, Nick Scott should thrive in this Defense and if he doesn't, I love the upside of both Battle and Tycen Anderson. While
I hated losing Vonn Bell, he relied pretty much on his instincts, something that Jordan Battle does as well, but he is still faster than Bell with 
his straight line speed as you say.

We have lots of options and we are much faster in the Secondary, which means we might not struggle nearly as much as some think in the 
1 high looks. Lou wanted Nick Scott here and he has played as a centerfield Safety as Synric said. And I do think Daxton Hill could do it, even
if he wasn't asked to much at Michigan, he is fast enough no question.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lou is going to HAVE to call cover 2 way more this year - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 06-05-2023, 04:18 PM