Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Newest attempted power grab by Ohio Republicans
(06-06-2023, 03:37 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Yes, I would agree with that statement, but I'd also include rape and incest.  Many victims are in denial of the assault and won't make it to their OBGYN before it is too late.

AGOC states it is 23-25 weeks before the baby is viable.  10-years ago it was 29-30 weeks. 

ACOG and the Society for Maternal–Fetal Medicine’s Obstetric Care Consensus #6, Periviable birth, rates of neonatal survival to discharge at this time range dramatically from 23% to 27% for births at 23 weeks, 42% to 59% for births at 24 weeks, and 67% to 76% for births at 25 weeks of gestation. The consensus also notes that deliveries before 23 weeks have a 5–6% survival rate and that significant morbidity is universal (98–100%) among the rare survivors.

https://www.acog.org/advocacy/facts-are-important/understanding-and-navigating-viability

We have two preemies.

Both born three months early at right around 26-27 weeks.

Our daughter is now 25 and was born at 12" long and 1lb 10oz.

Our son is now 21 and was born at 12" long and 2lb 10oz.

Both spent two months in the NICU.  Her because of her heart, him because of his lungs.

Then they each spent one month is a kind of step down called TIC where they stayed until they reached five pounds.  Our daughter didn't reach that but was allowed to come home anyway.

She had a heart monitor for a month.  He had oxygen for a month or two.

Both are healthy.  We were blessed with a great hospital and fantastic doctors.

But preemies have tremendous health risks from blindness to CP, to a multitude of other ailments.  

And I'm glossing over all the things that happened during pregnancy with each one that affected their health at birth and after.

I'm sure the science is even better now and the ability to have a "viable" child will get moved back further...but it does have serious risks.  And I don't mean to disregard the gestation age being a good cutoff point, only that "viability", to me, means that science COULD allow the child to survive with much effort.  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Newest attempted power grab by Ohio Republicans - GMDino - 06-06-2023, 03:49 PM