Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
DJ Reader estimated extension value (per Sportrac)
(06-07-2023, 01:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Many around here act as if the winning would suddenly end if the team didn't sign both Higgins and Chase to second contracts.  I have a differing opinion on how the team resources would be best utilized.  I feel like as long as you give Joe B. a strong OL and one superstar receiver, the rest of the skill players can be elevated by Joe's leadership and quality coaching.  If you're planning on winning a Super Bowl (or several), it also takes a very strong defense as well.

I don't necessarily believe we'll stop winning if Higgins isn't resigned.  In fact, I've advocated for awhile that we should be looking to draft a replacement.  However, I definitely get trepidation regarding letting him go.  The Bengals are a legitimate SB contender with a stacked WR corps.  We've done the "good OL, good defense, 1 superstar WR" formula.  We had success, but 6 one and dones were all we had to show for it. It's a formula that works in the regular season, but falls short in the playoffs.  We all know we can put Joe Burrow behind a trash OL with Chase and Higgins and make it to the SB, because we've all seen it.  We don't know if we we can with a change in personnel priorities.

Ultimately, though, it doesn't matter what we think.  Joe is going to structure his deal to keep his guys, so that's what's going to happen.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: DJ Reader estimated extension value (per Sportrac) - Whatever - 06-07-2023, 07:18 PM