Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA TE Contracts were low across the board
(06-05-2023, 01:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I would agree, but it depends on your definition of "significant money."

12 TEs make an average of $10+ mill APY

Another 4 make in the $8-9 mill range.
That's half the league's starting TEs basically.

So I wouldn't consider $6-7.5 mill range to be "significant money."
Plus, Boyd is very likely gone after this year and we don't know how Charlie Jones will do.
It could be possible we see a shift in the offense where the TE becomes the 3rd option in the offense after this season.

I thought the same with Boyd pricing himself out, but they didn't raise a finger at a supposedly deep TE class.  Can't fault them with getting value round by round (possible starting safety, slot WR, ect..)  it just made too much sense to take a recieving TE in the mid rounds to groom on blocking behind Smith Jr. for a year and be that cheap 3rd receiving option. 

Instead, they may have found a niche in attracting the misfit toys that were replaced for different reasons.  Cincy is using their prestige to find value with the 3rd tier TEs with upside.  I wouldn't be shocked if they do it again, and if there are other needs they may not draft one high again.  If the young WRs pan out, we may see more 4 wide looks too.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: FA TE Contracts were low across the board - phil413 - 06-09-2023, 10:10 AM