Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA TE Contracts were low across the board
(06-09-2023, 02:01 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I think if Irv can stay healthy he will do as well as our guys the past 2 years myself.

I am thinking the same if Irv can stay healthy, but that is the question. Dude is young, 24 and is fast for a TE even if he is undersized.

He is strong after the catch, those middle TE screens could go for some big gains this year with Irv Smith Jr.

(06-09-2023, 10:10 AM)phil413 Wrote: I thought the same with Boyd pricing himself out, but they didn't raise a finger at a supposedly deep TE class.  Can't fault them with getting value round by round (possible starting safety, slot WR, ect..)  it just made too much sense to take a recieving TE in the mid rounds to groom on blocking behind Smith Jr. for a year and be that cheap 3rd receiving option. 

Instead, they may have found a niche in attracting the misfit toys that were replaced for different reasons.  Cincy is using their prestige to find value with the 3rd tier TEs with upside.  I wouldn't be shocked if they do it again, and if there are other needs they may not draft one high again.  If the young WRs pan out, we may see more 4 wide looks too.

I am sure we will see a lot more 4 WR sets with the additions of Chuck Sizzle and Iosivas and not adding a TE in the Draft.

Maybe we are waiting on a vet TE to be cut before we put Wilcox back on the roster? I don't know, I like Wilcox better than both 
Sample and Asiasi who are here.

(06-09-2023, 11:30 PM)Housh Wrote: I mean unless you are Kyle Pitts and can double as a WR or you are Kittle Kelce, Waller or another elite guy the position is easily sustainable with just any TE. Honestly if we went into the season with Sample as TE1, Wilcox and Asiasi it’s not like i would’ve labeled the season as over. I honestly wouldn’t have cared. We literally only need a TE that can get 5 yards on a 3rd and short. Uzomah and Hurst did that. Irv will most likely do that. But do you want to pay 10 plus million to a guy just to get a short yardage 3rd downs? This also explains why we didn’t draft Washington. The value at the pick just wasn’t there. We could literally sigh 3 undrafted TEs and they will probably be able to do everything we need.

Heard we really liked Kincaid, if that truly was the case, we are looking for a pass catching TE, not a blocking TE like in the past.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: FA TE Contracts were low across the board - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 06-11-2023, 01:07 PM