Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong?
(06-13-2023, 01:09 AM)Dill Wrote: I'm traveling this month, so it's not easy to respond to posts on time.

I thought the issue was which side has "demons," or "more demons," per C-Dawgs post.

No, that hasn't been the topic at hand for several posts.  We've been discussing suppression of speech and violence on college campuses. 

Quote:So when I responded I wasn't thinking of right/left wing protests so much as the concept of "canceling." It's often represented as some kind of "left" phenomenon, but I think shaming someone on twitter is not as serious as denying someone jobs or firing someone--the kind of thing that often is not covered in MSM media. If one can distinguish between "radical leftists" of right wing media fame and actual leftists, I think the case can be made they are subject to greater harassment than a few very prominent right wing provocateurs. The way to determine that would not be to follow emotional or trendy news coverage, but by working through the bean counting of sites like Georgetown's Free Speech Tracker, which I linked above.

Again, you're veering significantly off topic.  We are discussing the suppression of speech and violence on college campuses.  We are not discussing Twitter posts.

Quote:In any case, when assessing "demons," I'm not interested in lining up tit for tat "both sides do it."  At this conjuncture, what people ought to be recognizing is that one side's demons are the greater threat to civil peace and democracy--i.e., millions of Americans groomed to support a violence-inciting autocrat for president. The first ex president to face criminal charges--and the majority of one party separate his actions from their consequences to the degree they are alienated en masse from their own government. At the moment I do not see a more serious problem than that in our domestic politics. "Confronting extreme bullshit" on both sides just obscures this problem, delays recognition and so solution.

Once again you're changing the subject.  It would be totally acceptable for you to admit the obvious, that the left is far more censorious on college campuses and more prone to violence in that setting without conceding that the left has "more demons" or is more violent in general.  Your apparent refusal to stick to the subject at hand makes you look like you're avoiding it because you believe the results of that discussion won't be in your favor.  That may not be the case, but you're certainly radiating that appearance.

Quote:The bolded offers my reasons for why youtbue searches can be good for many things, but a count of videos on protests is not likely to correlate to some actual count of protests.  The angriest or most organized or most manipulated can account for quantity there. I think right wing media and their students are much more active on such venues. Not to mention Russians.

I don't disagree regarding YouTube as a source, which is why I also provided a detailed search of far left leaning media sites covering stories of right wing college protests, or college protests in general.  That they provided so few examples, literally one in the US, while covering a large number of left wing protests rather lends considerable weight to my assertion that suppression of speech and violence on college campuses is almost exclusively the purview of the far left.  The fact that you outright ignored those numerous examples in your response again gives the impression of someone running from unpalatable truths.  I'm certain you would never do that, so giving that impression must not be desirable to you.

Also, the Russians?  Seriously.  Are the Russians in the room with us right now?  

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 06-13-2023, 03:34 PM
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - pally - 06-08-2023, 07:08 PM
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - pally - 06-09-2023, 11:50 AM