Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong?
(06-16-2023, 01:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: A lot of angry and active political young people on both sides get into a normal rut and taper off and get more subtle about it once they fall into an adult routine.  People can get into bubbles and people can get out of them. 

Oddly enough when I was in college I was at my most conservative. 

(06-16-2023, 02:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Not that hard to believe. I wasn't a Republican or anything because they were all about social conservatism, Jesus government, and war but I had major "what about us straight white guys?" energy.  I was young, selfish, and didn't have a real world perspective yet. 

I bought into that Idea that people like me were going to get a raw deal because everyone was into promoting everything I wasn't.  Eventually I realized promoting what I'm not doesn't mean demoting what I am. As I built my own self confidence and personal and professional resume I stopped looking for others to "make things fair" for me.

I wasn't exactly "where is white history month?" But those notions were in my mind which is extra funny because I'm the only person I know who had liberal parents.  

Anyways for me the older I got and the more I grew as a person the more confidence I had to allow others to succeed on the personal and social level. 

Funnily enough, I have a similar arc. I mean, I was very libertarian minded in my teenage years and early twenties. I bought into the whole "socially liberal and fiscally conservative" mindset, which is very common in the accounting field. I even supported the Tea Party movement back in the day. It was during that time, though, that I had some discussions with folks about political and economic theory. I started reading the works that were the support of these movements. I started reading white papers and policy analyses. Something clicked inside of me.

It was during that time that I decided I wanted to work in government or non-profit and try to do my part for my fellow man. When the opportunity introduced itself due to my employment for me to study more about political science and public administration, I jumped at it. Over the years I developed a tool box to think more critically about all of these things and understand the data that is out there.

These days I am a social democrat, which means center-left on the geopolitical spectrum. Of course, that's about where Bernie is, so that tells you something about our politics in this country. What most people don't know, though, is that the positions of both Roosevelts were in that same area on the scale in many regards. Minus the whole aggressiveness of TR. It just goes to show how much the politics have changed in this country. Though, they have also stayed the same in many ways.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - pally - 06-08-2023, 07:08 PM
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - pally - 06-09-2023, 11:50 AM
RE: Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong? - Belsnickel - 06-17-2023, 06:59 AM