Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If they are buyers, what would you give up?
(06-17-2023, 09:58 PM)samhain Wrote: The team is now looking less fluke and more legit.  They are racking up wins.  They also have a very real roster crunch coming up soon.  Votto is en route, CES is banging down the door.  

Meanwhile, the Reds have terrific lineup.  The staff, however is Greene and Abbott and hope shit goes really well.  

Teams don't pick their year.  It picks them.  With that in mind, I feel like another starter (at least) is needed if this team is going to make a real postseason run.  

Would you give up a CES for a Shane Beiber?  Marte?

They have a lot of prospect capital.  Would you give a meaningful bit of it up for a top-of-rotation hammer that can get it done in the fall?  Would you rather let the season play out as is with hope of the second coming of the Big Red Machine being a reality when all of the young talent comes to Cincinnati?

It's a tough call.  if Marte and CES, even Arroyo can hit the majors running as McLain and EDLC have, this team would be built like a brick shithouse until 2030.  

IDK what to think.

I would be willing to trade the young chips that are more than 2 years away. Cam Collier, Sal Stewart, Victor Acosta, Hector Rodriguez, Alfredo Duno and Edwin Arroyo. Even Chase Petty.

Not many of them are high profile pieces yet, but Hector Rodriguez is currently hitting .305/.357/.563/.920 in A ball at just 19 years old (230 PAs) and was recently given the Low A minor league player of the month award for May. 

Edwin Arroyo and Cam Collier are top 100 prospects (top 50 in some areas) and Petty is rising up the lists as well with a 1.50 ERA in 6 starts with 26 SOs and only 5 BBs surrendered in high A ball at just 20 years old. 

The others (Acosta, Duno, Stewart) are still just potential but someone may be enticed by their tools to want them as a secondary piece of a trade if we were to go after some starting pitching at the deadline.

I would not be willing to give up CES at this point. CES is too close to the majors and looks like a legitimate power hitting prospect. He honestly should be on the big league team right now, but he's being blocked by a few players that may not be here past this season (Myers, Votto, Newman, Maile, Casali).

Marte is one that I'd be willing to part with, but only if we get a legitimate quality starting pitcher with at least 1 additional year of control in exchange. 

Marte + Acosta + Aguilar/Richardson for Shane Bieber would be a trade I'd consider, but only if we're confident we could re-sign Bieber to a long term contract, as next year will be the last season of arbitration for him.

I have a feeling the Guardians will want two premium prospects for Bieber though, unfortunately.

The cost of trading for veterans is so often so expensive, I'd be more interested in just renting an arm for one of the lower tier prospects just to have someone who could fill innings and get Weaver out of the ***** rotation haha.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: If they are buyers, what would you give up? - CJD - 06-19-2023, 11:19 AM