Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SP trade targets you like
(06-29-2023, 07:08 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I'm not trying to be controversial here . . . they may not need to make a trade, in fact, it might be a panic move.

1) As Nick Krall stated, most teams aren't that interested in trading right now because they still feel that they have a shot. You may have to over pay.
2) They don't need an ace, all they need is someone that can give them five or six competent innings
3) When teams are finally ready to deal . . . The Reds will be getting starters back.

Shortly after the 1st trade deadline hits in a month, this might be the rotation
Hunter Greene - due back in early August
Andrew Abbott
Graham Ashcraft
Brandon Williamson
Ben Lively - haven't heard anything on the pectoral MRI, if not, Weaver.

Also coming back down the road to push Weaver out
Nick Lodolo
Justin Dunn - schedule to throw live batting practice from August 8th until scheduled rehab assignment on August 22nd.

And some relievers
Derek Law - due back as early as July 2nd.
Tejay Antone - schedule to throw live batting practice from July 8th until scheduled rehab assignment on July 19th.
Vladimir Gutierrez - due back in September and expected to be in the bullpen. He'll try for a starter spot again next year.

Also a blurb from June 13th on Tony Santillan

And don't forget that Connor Phillips just got promoted to AAA. It didn't take Andrew Abbott long in AAA, hopefully Phillips rises to the occasion.

Not saying that I don't want them to make a move . . . I'm just saying that I won't lose my mind if they stay within the organization.

I just have a hard time trusting Brandon Williamson based on what we've seen so far this year.
Williamson - 8 games started, 5.82 ERA

You mention Justin Dunn, but that dude wasn't very good for the Reds last year. Maybe I just am not plugged into his ability as you are, but I don't recall him being a big get last year?

Through the month of July, you're looking at a rotation of:
Ashcraft
Abbott
Weaver
Williamson
Who?

That's a really rough rotation when you're sitting just 0.5 game in 1st place and you don't get your other guys back potentially for about a month.
How far down could you potentially fall in the standings if Ashcraft, Weaver, and Williamson continue to pitch poorly like they have recently?

And my head goes toward playoffs.
Which 3 pitchers in the Reds' rotation would you feel good pitching in a playoff series?
Hunter Greene is an obvious one but then who?

I'd feel much more comfortable having a good #2 and/or #3 added so you have more insurance.

I understand not making a trade before the All-Star break, which is July 11.
You can get another couple pitching opportunities for each of the guys between now and then to assess.
Reds get a nice stretch of games against losing teams in the Padres and Nationals before a final series against the Brewers right before the ASG.

But after the All-Star break, you're looking at mid-July for the next set of games, and here's who they have to finish out July:
Brewers (3 games) - 42-38 record currently
Giants (4 games) - 45-35 record currently
Diamondbacks (3 games) - 48-34 record currently
Brewers (3 games)
Dodgers (3 games) - 44-35 record currently

So after the All-Star break, every single team with a winning record. It is an extremely tough stretch, and you can't rely on your offense always getting a come-from-behind win so frequently.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
SP trade targets you like - ochocincos - 06-29-2023, 12:53 PM
RE: SP trade targets you like - ochocincos - 06-29-2023, 08:11 PM
RE: SP trade targets you like - ochocincos - 07-04-2023, 01:02 PM
RE: SP trade targets you like - samhain - 07-01-2023, 11:03 AM
RE: SP trade targets you like - SladeX - 07-01-2023, 10:57 AM