Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Drag March "Coming for your children"
(06-30-2023, 02:26 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Unless a child reports abuse.

(06-30-2023, 02:27 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: In that scenario you could refer the child to the school counselor, a person who is actually trained to address sensitive topics.  If a person who trusts you came up and asked for legal advice would you address it with them or refer them to an attorney who actually knows what they're talking about?

I get your point, there's not an easy answer here.  A child could come up and tell you about abuse in the home and beg you not to say anything.  But you're required by law to report said abuse to CPS, DCFS or the equivalent.  Knowing the limits of your position is rather important and not following that can often create much more harm.  Unintentional harm, but harm nonetheless.

I agree about the abuse part: I absolutely feel that the CORRECT person should speak to the child in a situation like this, but for a teacher to be completely hands off if they have a strong bond with the child, it doesn't make sense.

It's a very grey area.

Despite the legal advice example being a bit more black and white, because there's the law and there's breaking the law: defined and precise... the law should not be interpreted by non-practitioners, so I agree with you on that. Also, because legal ramifications are at stake, it's a bit irresponsible for someone to give legal advice in a case like that: with the example of the child above, a lot of it is human emotion and feelings-based, something teachers are also trained to deal with in the classroom.

All I know is that if I ever had issues as a kid, outside of my parents, my teacher would've been the first person I'd have gone to in every single situation, point blank.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Drag March "Coming for your children" - Truck_1_0_1_ - 06-30-2023, 03:53 PM