Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Biden overstepped his authority and SC stopped loan forgiveness
(07-02-2023, 12:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Worker: I can't live on $7.25/hr<br><br>GOP: So go to college<br><br>W: I can't afford $100K tuition<br><br>GOP: Take out loans<br><br>W: I can't afford to pay these at 8% interest<br><br>GOP: No one forced you to go to college<br><br>W: But you just said—<br><br>Billionaire: I NEED MORE MONEY!<br><br>GOP: Here's a $2T Tax Cut</p>&mdash; Qasim Rashid, Esq. (@QasimRashid) <a href="https://twitter.com/QasimRashid/status/1675296171978379267?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 2, 2023</a></blockquote> 

One does not need to go into debt to attain the skills to land a job that pays significantly better than minimum wage.  Most Community Colleges tuition is pretty much covered by the Pell Grant, and books can be had for a bargain on the second hand market.  Then, if your career takes you to a point where you need a bachelor's degree or higher in order to advance, many companies will cover the cost of such.

The problem seems to be that the messaging for a long time was "You need a four year degree in order to compete in society", which was both true and false at the same time.   When I attended High School guidance counselors seemed to be getting a kickback from universities for getting students committed, (likely not provable, but how it appears in retrospect) when in reality many good paying jobs only required some trade schooling or an Associates Degree that could be attained for a very low cost compared to the four year institution price.

That in part is why I was sincerely hoping that Student Loan Forgiveness would have went through, as millions of people from my generation were led to believe that a four year degree was the only way to go, and "take the loans, you'll make more than enough to pay them back" was the response when questioned about cost implications. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Biden overstepped his authority and SC stopped loan forgiveness - SunsetBengal - 07-02-2023, 04:33 PM