Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When We Dropped The Atomic Bombs…..
(04-13-2023, 03:11 PM)Stewy Wrote: The Japanese had 10,000 short range kamikaze fighters ready to hit every kind of landing craft (not Navy fighting vessels) coming at the Southern Island.

Every Japanese citizen (elderly, man, woman, child) was being trained to fight with everything they had, and to the death, every step of the way, and by all reports, from the US and Japan, they were prepared to do it.

The Japanese homeland build up and the experience of fighting a dug in and determined Japanese enemy on Okinawa, lead to astronomical estimates for causalities and dead, which is what convinced the President to use the bomb.

Note that yes this is from a Wiki, but it mesh's with several documentaries, and books that I have read.  Post war documents detailing Japan's preparation and determination to repel an allied invasion, showed that the larger estimates were probably under estimated as well.

While it's easy to stand back and condemn the use of the bomb in retrospect, at the time is saved potentially over 10 million lives.  However, if the President had had hindsight into the long lasting effects of the radiation, fallout and long lasting political ramifications of using the bomb, he probably would have been faced with the single most excruciating decision in the history of the world.

Thanks for the info. I LOVE reading things like that.

That does make sense because of the way the Japanese people looked at the emperor as a God.

I didn't know that about the 10,000 kamikaze fighters but it does make sense when they believe the emperor is a God. Look at all the Middle East fighters who went kamikaze in the name of allah.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: When We Dropped The Atomic Bombs….. - BFritz21 - 07-02-2023, 04:39 PM