Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Drag March "Coming for your children"
(07-02-2023, 02:20 PM)hollodero Wrote: No, it does not. But I would not restrict the states' rights to oppose parental wishes to such emergencies. I also think the state has the right to oppose parents if the parents are racists or believe the earth is flat etc etc. and demand the right that their children are not told otherwise. And, also, maybe when it comes to sex education.

You're running into European perception problems here.  What you just described is a clear violation of the 1sr Amendment.  

Quote:In my opinion, yes. At what age and to what extent, these are different questions. But in principle, yes it is important. A child hitting puberty and having no idea what's going on is detrimental to their mental sanity, not to mention all those unwanted child pregnancies that aren't all that seldomly happening, plus STDs and whatnot.

Of course we again run into the issue as to the extent of such teachings.  There is a huge range of possible topics that could be introduced.  A friend of minor once made a great statement, albeit on a different topic, there's a difference between need to know and nice to know.  I have no issue with children receiving age appropriate lessons on the effects of puberty and I doubt many others do either.  

Quote:Yeah well, that doesn't deter me from having a different opinion then a large segment of the population then.

I would certainly hope not.  I stated that to illustrate that this is not a far right fringe issue as some here are trying to make it out to be.

Quote:I did not say that. I'd say parents should have the right to review the curriculum, and having their wishes recognized and if at all feasible also accomodated. When it comes to them ultimatively giving or denying approval, I'm less inclined. Of course I'm mostly thinking of extremely prude parents that don't want their kids to ever hear about anything sexual, parents that do exist. Succumbing to the wishes of such parents is imho not in the child's best interest, and I'd argue in the end this is what it's about.

But then who decides what's in the child's best interests?  Parents are legally and financially responsible for their children.  You better have a rock solid reason for intruding on their autonomy when it comes to their children.  

Quote:Also a fine idea, imho.

You would think it would have received some support in this thread.  Odd that it has garnered so little.

Quote:Well, no. But I'm not so sure whether the average age at which children hit puberty should determine the right time to start addressing these topics, just because some children are not within said average. This, of course, is coupled with my belief that sex education, if done properly and carefully of course, does not traumatize or otherwise emotionally harm a child. If anything, it rather is a counterweight or a contextualization to all the stuff most children hear and see from other places anyways, including internet and afternoon TV.

Ideally yes, and I agree children mature at different rates.  I guarantee every guy here remembers the first girl who developed breasts in their class, way ahead of the other girls.  Of course mental maturity is of importance as well, but is obviously more difficult to measure.

Quote:Sure, there are certain topics where I'd agree children of that age don't need to be exposed to. Certain topics. I'm certainly not advocationg to teach them all kinds of different sexual techniques and whatnot. But that does not include every topic that touches sexuality.

You're not, but there are some who are.  Hence this being a hot button issue at the moment.

Quote:Well no, but you can somewhat minimize the harmful impact of shitty parenting.

Not as much as you might think, but yes.

Quote:Oh, sure, I do not disagree. It seems as if the argument is what is too far and what is not.

The fact that this is even a major topic of discussion now, when it hasn't been for decades, kind of illustrates that it has gone too far.  You've had instance of parents reading books from the school library out loud at school board meetings that got them cut off as the board complained they were "too graphic".  Here's just one example.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Drag March "Coming for your children" - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 07-03-2023, 12:09 PM