Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Well liberals is it time to stop July 4th being a holiday?
(07-06-2023, 12:44 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't think absolution is on anyone's wish list.  Regardless, it's simply not possible.  What I think most people want, and can't seem to get is a focus on the present and future and not, to paraphrase Murray, a constant picking at old wounds.  Why are race relations worse today then that've been in decades?  It's certainly not that there's more racism now.  Racism is never going away, but there's no way it's not at historic lows in the US, and yet the race issue is more raw and enflamed than it has been for some time.  These contradictory truths really rankle with many.

Yeah, now that I can get behind, it puzzles me too. How people can actually claim that racism is worse than it ever was. Imho the race relations are worse than they used to be because the media machineries discovered the topic as particularly divisive and hence as particularly profitable.

What I'd argue though is what to take away from that. My ability to relate is somehow limited, but then again I'm from a country that has its own issue with atoning for our historical sins. And we too have two fractions, one that wants to remember the NS time and make amends and one that claims that should be done with, that we don't deserve to be put on the spot over it any longer. One argument sure being look at how far we've come since then, immigrants love coming here, so what's the point in bringing up the dark spots in our history. My father was among those, and he got particularly angry if an US-American talked about Nazis. Oh, they are the ones to talk, he used to shout, after committing near genocide with the native population. 

Is it a good argument? I always thought it was not. Yet it is somehow similar to the points made in the video.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Well liberals is it time to stop July 4th being a holiday? - hollodero - 07-06-2023, 12:58 PM