Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Well liberals is it time to stop July 4th being a holiday?
(07-06-2023, 12:58 PM)hollodero Wrote: Yeah, now that I can get behind, it puzzles me too. How people can actually claim that racism is worse than it ever was. Imho the race relations are worse than they used to be because the media machineries discovered the topic as particularly divisive and hence as particularly profitable.

What I'd argue though is what to take away from that. My ability to relate is somehow limited, but then again I'm from a country that has its own issue with atoning for our historical sins. And we too have two fractions, one that wants to remember the NS time and make amends and one that claims that should be done with, that we don't deserve to be put on the spot over it any longer. One argument sure being look at how far we've come since then, immigrants love coming here, so what's the point in bringing up the dark spots in our history. My father was among those, and he got particularly angry if an US-American talked about Nazis. Oh, they are the ones to talk, he used to shout, after committing near genocide with the native population. 

Is it a good argument? I always thought it was not. Yet it is somehow similar to the points made in the video.

But there has to come a time when a nation/people are no longer held to account for the sins of the past.  To not do so actually turns people away from examining those wrongs.  Why bother even trying to address and atone for them if it will never go away, never be enough.  How many generations have to pass before that wrong is no longer a burden for them to bear?  As you point out, it's not an easy question to answer, and there are absolutely people/corporations who profit off continually stoking this fire

(07-06-2023, 12:58 PM)pally Wrote: The past is pertinent to today and the future.  And it means I don't care what other county's do or did in their past as it is irrelevant to the standards we should expect for this country

No one said the past wasn't important.  How do you rectify race relations being worse than they have in decades while the amount of actual racism continues to diminish?  It's gotten that the demand for racism is exceeding the actual supply.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hate+crime+faked&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwix0rXUu_r_AhWrLEQIHe_4CskQ0pQJegQICBAB&biw=2560&bih=1336&dpr=1.5
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Well liberals is it time to stop July 4th being a holiday? - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 07-06-2023, 01:09 PM